FORTY-FIVE

ANDREA WILSON

My eyes refrain from rolling back as I hear Dr. Slater's annoyed voice fill the emergency room once again. He hasn't let up on anyone since I clocked in, and at this point, I'm terrified to have one single slip up. At the moment, he's complaining about the handwriting of one of the newest interns.

He has an extra-large stick up his ass today for some reason.

My eyes stay glued to the tablet screen in front of me, my finger swiftly signing my signature to officially close the file of the patient that had just left. The man was nonstop vomiting for hours on end. That was a wonderful way to start my shift. He only had a harsh stomach bug, nothing some antibiotics couldn't fix once we got his vomiting down to a minimum.

Super fun.

Today has mostly just been filled with patients that aren't necessarily difficult, but they aren't enjoyable to treat either. One patient just needed a nasal lavage...something you can do at home. Apparently, I missed the memo that today was 'go to the emergency room when it isn't necessary' day.

On top of that, it's been strange being on opposite schedules as Harry this past week. I never thought that I'd be missing someone this way, in a physical, wish that they were here way. I've been trying my best not to get in my own head about the feeling. One thing that has me second-guessing whether or not my feelings aren't reciprocated is the fact that he has not held back with telling me how much he wants to kiss me, and how much he misses being able to kiss me.

He has mentioned it on every single one of our phone and FaceTime calls since he left. I've blushed like an idiot every time. He always stops me before I have the chance to respond, but if he ever did I wouldn't stop myself from telling him just how much I miss it too. I don't think saying I miss kissing him even measures up to how strong the longing feeling truly is.

The stupid boundary I set between the two of us is pretty much all I needed to come to my sense, but I've refrained from taking it back out of fear. I know that he would never want me more than the person he's sleeping or friends with.

I think that I'm officially starting to get to the point of understanding that a part of me sees him as more than just a friend or someone that I'm sleeping with. I just haven't been able to fully admit to that yet, I don't know if I ever will admit it honestly.

"Wilson, get off your ass and get me the blood draw from the patient in bed six." I heard Dr. Slater tell me loudly across the room to me.

Couldn't have walked over and kindly asked me, no. Had to scream it across the entire emergency room.

"Sorry, sir just was closing a patient file. I'll get it right now," I say kindly with a small smile to hide the boiling attitude inside of me.

It's hard to keep defending how good of a teacher he can be when he acts like this. All of the new interns have been having a hard time with him, as usual, and I've just told them that they'll appreciate him in a few years. They tend to ignore me when they get yelled at seconds later.

He never seems to have that many good days anymore, which just makes me feel thankful that I've been scheduled on the pediatric floor recently.

I sigh as I lock my tablet and set it down on the desk, then stand from the rolling chair. I have to refrain from sending him a glare as I walk past him and into the supply closet while slipping a pair of gloves onto my hands. I grab a tourniquet, a safety trainer device, a blood drawing needle, an alcohol pad, the two correct collection tubes, a gauze pad, and adhesive tape.

As I make my way over to bed six, I hear Dr. Slater having another fit, this time sounding to be about the way that they performed a physical exam on a patient.