THIRTY-SEVEN

ANDREA WILSON

Being able to spend time with Harry and his family has been something that I don't think I ever would have thought of the first time I met him. Especially with the filthy words coming out of his mouth due to the alcohol in his system.

But being able to spend time with him, Gemma, and Anne today, was something that was absolutely incredible.

Seeing Harry joke around with his sister, and even at times be a momma's boy with Anne was something that I will never be able to forget, and I hope that I never do.

They were so kind to me from the second I walked through that door and instantly helped ease my anxiety. I expected to be greeted by those awkward handshakes, but both of them hugged me as if I had known them for a while.

I've always hated handshakes, and I used to always greet people with a hug until I got my license to nurse, then I had to officially move on to using a respectful and appropriate greeting. I never had a problem with greeting other employees and staff that way, but eventually, it shifted over to my personal life as well.

With Jo being my closest friend over the years, she was the only person I'd ever greet with a hug. My family never even hugged each other after one of us had been away. We'd just exchange an awkward hello before going about our regular business.

They asked me about what I do, and about who I am. And they were interested in what I had to say. They always made sure that their eyes were on me when I spoke, it almost made me nervous at first, but I realized they were being respectful and wanted to hear what I had to say.

I see where Harry learned the importance of eye contact in a conversation. Whereas I've been used to doctors and other nurses multitasking as I spoke while their eyes were glued to whatever they were working on.

After dinner, we've all spent time relaxing in Harry's living room simply talking about random topics, many of which involve Anne adorably gushing about old memories of Harry and Gemma. Harry quickly tried to turn the conversation to either be about myself or Gemma rather than him.

It was pretty cute seeing him get all flushed over an embarrassing childhood story. Including when Anne told me about him peeing his pants in the middle of the night when Gemma pranked him by putting his hand in warm water while he was asleep.

It was something so simple to do, but something I didn't really know that families would do together. Just simply sit down and enjoy each other's company and talk.

"Alright, I am off to bed, I can't stay up with you kids any longer I am exhausted," Anne says as she stands up from the living room couch, Gemma following her as well.

"I'm going to head up too, jet lag this time around is killing me," she agrees.

I quickly myself out of my train of thought, both Harry and I stand up to say goodnight to them.

Anne makes her way over to me, embracing me in a warm and tight hug that I don't hesitate to return. The smile on my face returns once again at the continuous kindness she's shown me. My cheeks are so sore from how much I've smiled today.

"Thank you so much for coming today sweetheart, and for all your help. It was so lovely being able to meet you finally," she says, before pulling back and pressing a kiss on my cheek as Harry says goodnight to his sister.

"I can't thank you enough for letting me be a part of your family's holiday," I start to thank her, but she quickly shushes me, shaking her head back and forth with a small smile.

"You're welcome any time dear," she says, and her words make me nearly break down in front of her.

But I don't. Instead, I put on a smile and bring her into another short hug, and another thank you before pulling away to give her a chance to say goodnight to Harry.