A Dangerous Part-Time Job

Keenry one shot - set early season 4 after Robby has joined Cobra Kai

"Hey Tory! You wanna come watch me buy more Nikes? The new Air Jordans just came out." Kyler asked her after class had ended.
"Oh god, not again. I don't think I've recovered from our last trip to the mall. You go shopping more often than most girls I know." Tory jokingly complained. "No, but seriously, I can't. I have things to do - family stuff to take care of."
"It's cool. What about you, Keene?"
"Sure, how bad can it be?" Robby replied.
"Bad." Tory warned.

The next few days, it was the same. Tory always had an excuse as to why she couldn't hang out with them and during their spars Robby had noticed that she seemed to be in pain and holding back. Kreese had also noticed how his best student was becoming second best recently and although he knew Robby was naturally gifted in the art of karate, he had never seen Tory fail, much less accept it.

After class that day, worried that Miyagi-Do was harassing Tory, Robby decided to follow her. Robby thought she would be going home or to work but as he followed her further into the bad part of town - past her apartment complex - his worries and confusion began to grow.

Robby watched Tory enter what looked like an abandoned warehouse. Having a bad feeling about this Robby pulled his hoodie up to try to disguise his identity before entering the building himself.

Although it had only been a couple of minutes Robby had managed to lose Tory in the surprisingly busy crowd. Robby followed the sound of cheers to a fighting cage just in time to see a familiar head of bronde hair enter the cage.

'Oh no.' He thought.

Tory struck first, obviously, against her twice as big opponent.

(A/n: Just the fight scene)

Tory looks up from finishing her opponent to meet Robby's horrified eyes.

Tory headed to the door of the cage and Robby moved around the room to meet her. Opening his mouth to object, or condemn, or ask her if she was alright, Robby hadn't decided but Tory held her hand up stopping him from saying anything and cocked her head gesturing for him to follow her to a small dark corner of the building.

"How did you...?" Tory asked first wanting to take control of the narrative but was in so much shock that she couldn't finish the sentence.
"I followed you." Robby stated.
"That's creepy." Tory informed him.
"Oh cause I'm sure you've never heard anything creepier in here." Robby challenged glancing back at the patrons.
"Yeah, well, it pays a hell of a lot better than my two minimum wage jobs combined and I need to pay my rent or..." Tory trailed off.
"Or what?" Robby asked in concern. "Let's just say there are worse alternatives." Robby grimaced from the implications. "Most of that wasn't karate and I'm sure you didn't learn all that from a few kickboxing lessons. Where'd you learn to fight like that?" Robby asked changing the topic.
"My brother taught me." Tory stated looking away.
"I thought your brother was in 3rd grade?" Robby asked confused.
"My older brother." Tory corrected.
"Didn't know you had an older brother." He said.
"Half brother from my dad's side. Haven't seen him in years. Some stupid court said he couldn't stay with us after my dad went to jail because my mom had no legal rights to him. He used to come here to toughen up from... our dad. He taught me... in case."
Robby's nostrils flared and he pulled his lips tight in anger but then felt a sense of guilt feeling like he had intruded too far into Tory's personal life "Sorry." He apologised meaning sorry for her having a shitty life and sorry for following her.
"You can make it up to me by leaving and never coming back here and by never telling anyone."
"You must have gotten hit in the head one too many times if you think I'm leaving you here on your own." Robby objected.
"Robby, I don't need your protection. I know how to handle myself here."
"Doesn't matter. I'm not leaving." Robby said resolutely.