The Body

Slightly inspired by BTVS' 'The Body'

/ /

Robby had taken Brandon out to the skate park whilst Tory was at work since school was out for the summer and there was no one to watch the boy. Entering the Nichols' apartment complex, Robby noticed the door the Tory's apartment was slightly ajar. "Hey Brandon, why don't you wait here for a second? You can practice just riding in a straight line - I'll see if Tory's home yet and you can surprise her and show her what you've learned." Robby suggested making sure the young boy was occupied before he entered the apartment slowly expecting a fight.

Instead, he found Tory kneeling on the ground in floods of tears next to her mother's unconscious form. "Tor!" He called rushing over. "Shit! No, what happened?" Robby asked squatting down next to her but Tory hadn't even registered that Robby was here until he put his hand on her shoulder making her jump "Robby." She gasped out.
"Hi." He said now her eyes were focused on him. "Tory, have you tried...?"
"Yeah. The paramedics have been... they called the coroner - said it might be a while." She replied replaying what they had said over in her mind. "I-I'm not supposed to move the body," she explained and Robby saw a crack in her strong persona at those words "but I didn't want her to be alone." Tory added pulling her hand up to reveal it clinging onto her mom's.

"Tor... you can't stay here." Robby said gently seeing that Tory's gaze had gone back to focusing on her mother's still open eyes. "It's not healthy. Just come away, into the other room, or outside with me and Brandon." At her brother's name Tory broke down again. "Brandon? Right, Brandon. Fuck. I can't tell him... he shouldn't have to-"
"I know, and neither should you but you need to tell him what's happened-"
"No, no, no, no. Robby, I need you to take him away from here. Take him back to the skate park, anywhere. Just keep him busy for a few more hours. I can't tell him, not now. Not when she's still here. I know 8 year olds aren't that dumb but what if he doesn't understand, what if he wants to talk to her and she won't talk back?? Robby, I can't do this... I don't know how to do it. Just take him away until I figure it out - let him think everything is normal in his life for a few more hours before it all changes."
Robby wanted to agree but was concerned about Tory's mental state as reality sunk in "I can't leave you here on your own."
Tory let out a sad chuckle "It's okay, I'll have to get used to it."
"Tor..."
"It doesn't matter. I'm already fucked up but maybe this doesn't have to scar Brandon. Please, Robby, please." She begged pushing him back even though there was no strength in it. "Keep your cell on you. I'm gonna check in on you every 15 minutes." Robby promised.
"Only if Brandon doesn't notice." Tory warned him.
"I love you. It'll be okay, I promise." Robby said bending down to kiss the top of her head.
"I love you too."

The next person to walk through Tory's front door wasn't the coroner but Amanda LaRusso "Hey, Robby called me. Tory, I'm so sorry. I'm gonna do whatever I can to help." Amanda saw Tory open her mouth, probably to object "No arguments. And yes, you do need help. You're 17, you shouldn't be sitting here waiting for the coroner to arrive. Have you thought about what to say to Brandon?" Amanda sat on the couch, giving Tory space whilst still being a comforting presence. Tory silently shook her head at the question "No words will ever be enough."
"No, no they probably won't, but I'm sure it will still be better coming from you rather than a doctor or police officer."

After the coroner had taken away the body Amanda drove Tory to the skate park so she could tell Brandon what happened.

Robby noticed them coming towards them first. Brandon followed his gaze and spotted his sister.

"Tory! You're late." He ran up and hugged her around her legs.
"I know. I'm sorry, I got caught up with some things." She smiled sadly which her intuitive little brother picked up on. "Tory, you're doing that smiling when you're really sad thing."
"I have to tell you something."
"Um, what?" Brandon asked starting to get a bit confused by his sister's sad and serious demeanour. "What's going on? Something's going on."
"Let's go outside..."
"No. Tell me what's going on." Brandon demanded. For the past few years, ever since his mom got sick he felt like she and Tory babied him more than necessary.
"It's bad news."
"Well, what is it? What happened?"
"It's bad. Please, can we..."
"Mom?" Brandon realised. "Is she okay? Is she...? But she's okay? But it's serious... But..."
"Brandon." Tory sighed stopping him from coming up with anymore theories on his own. "Um, I came home earlier and she was asleep but I couldn't wake her up. So I called an ambulance and they... you know, they tried, just like all of the other times but... they couldn't keep her here any longer, it was her time to go become an angel." Tory tried to make it as kid friendly as possible whilst still telling Brandon the important details as she knew he hated being left in the dark, much like herself.
"No!" Brandon cried as his lip trembled. He began sobbing hard and repeating "No! No, it's not true! You're a liar! She's fine!" The eight-year-old crashed to the ground in floods of tears continuing "Please, it's not true. She's fine. Oh, no! No! No! No!"