The First Proposal

Based on Bella and Edward's proposal in the field

/ /

One of the benefits of living in California was that they could go to the beach anytime they wanted - even to study for school - which is what Tory was trying to do. However, her delinquent boyfriend was trying his hardest to distract her by playing with and kissing her hair. "You know I have an English final." Tory complained looking up from her book.
"Mm-hmm." Robby muttered moving to kiss her cheek now that he had more access.
"I gotta focus." She reminded herself more than him. Nevertheless, she met him halfway for a kiss which turned into three more.

They pulled away slightly for air but stayed in close proximity and with his hand tangled in Tory's hair and her nearly sitting in his lap and the sun shining on him, Robby knew he wanted it to stay like this forever. They had already overcome so much in their lives and they had proved time and time again that they were better off together. They had deafened three evil senseis that had tried to keep them apart like some fairytale novel and had battled personal demons as well to be with each other. All of these thoughts, emotions and memories swirling around his head caused two little words to slip out.

"Marry me."

Tory smiled softly thinking it was just her boyfriend being his sappy self and said "No."

Robby laughed a little he should've know she wouldn't take him seriously. So he moved back a little to look Tory in the eyes, caressing her face with one hand he repeated himself "Marry me."

Realising he wasn't joking Tory laughed a little shaking her and looking away from him. "You're insane."
"I love you."
"I know. And I love you too. But marriage is just a piece of paper. A very expensive piece of paper." She reminded him. Although things had calmed down in their personal lives and they both had steady part-time jobs and it was very likely both of them (especially Robby) would win some financial reward from the Sekai Teikai, money was still not in abundance.
"People have used it for centuries to say I love you."
"Well now, people at our age use it as a way to say they're knocked up."
"So you're worried about what people would think." Robby asked confused and Tory laughed - that was definitely not her style. Climbing into Robby's lap she told him "You know, 2 out of 3 marriages end in divorce."
"Just marry me."
"I can't. I have to be back at 4." Tory giggled and eventually Robby laughed too. She kissed him hard. Twice. To reassure Robby that she still loved him and was completely committed to their relationship just not so keen as to get a legal document that said that at this moment in time.
"One day?" He asked.
"One day." She agreed. "If we can afford it." She warned him. "Until then I don't need a piece of paper to prove I love you."
"I love you too." Robby said and kissed her again to show he wasn't mad at her decision. "Can you at least wear a ballgown at prom to give me a sneak peak?" He joked as her comment last year had put a lot of thoughts in his mind. Tory hit him on the arm saying "Absolutely not."