58

Joshua

"Josh!"

"Yeah momma!"

"Come down here please."

Looking over at my door, I was confused. Packing up my sketch pad, I made my way over to the stairs, only to see her standing at the bottom.

"Everything okay?"

"You tell me."

Beyond confused at this point, I went down and followed her into the the living room.

"Whatever I did I'm sorry. Whatever I didn't do I forgot." I said immediately.

"This came for you." She ignored me.

Handing me an envelope, my curiosity had peaked, especially at the size. Sitting across from her, I opened it and removed the two paper that were in it and began to read.

"Dear Joshua, Congratulations on your admission to Hampton University!"

Just from that first line, both my momma and I began to scream. I honestly couldn't believe I had gotten into my dream college, but at the same time, I knew I would have.

Continuing to read, there was a link in which I had to go to to read the guidebook and print some forms for registration. Looking at the date of the letter, I smirked when I saw it was dated on Leila's birthday. Looking at the other paper, it was my certificate of acceptance.

"I'm so proud of you." My momma hugged me. "We have to celebrate. We're going to dinner tonight."

Laughing at her excitement, I placed both papers on the table, took a picture and sent it to Leila.

As I went back to rereading it, she FaceTimed me

As I went back to rereading it, she FaceTimed me. Just by her facial expression, I knew she wanted to burst.

"Congratulations babe."

"Thanks ma."

"My baby's going to Hampton University. I have to get me a sweatshirt."

Laughing at her response, I allowed her to continue. What people didn't know about with Leila, she was in fact a talker. When she got excited about something, she would go on and on about and being me, I just let her.

"We have to celebrate this."

"Not yet."

Staring at me when I said that, I just laughed.

"When you get your acceptance letter for Stanford, then we'll celebrate."

"Oh." She laughed. "Okay we can do that."

"Good. You know what's the best thing about this acceptance letter?"

"Well I mean, it told you you got in."