4

Josh

"So, how was your first week overall."

Looking up at my mother as she stood in the door frame, I just went back to my homework.

"It was ok." I shrugged.

"Nothing interesting happened?"

Entering my room, she pulled the chair from my desk and sat across from me. My mother and I's relationship didn't have much of a solid foundation. I loved my mother, but she forced me to grow up because of her instability and choices.

"Let me see."

Putting down my pen, I sat up and looked at her before speaking.

"I cussed out a couple people, ignored everybody else, was asked to join the basketball team and basically stayed to myself."

"Joshua?"

"I told you mom, I'm not here to make friends. I got my friends and as soon as I graduate we gonna be doing our thing in college."

"Yea but you need to try."

"Why?" I stared at her blankly. "I already didn't want to move, you can't force me make friends especially not those people."

"And what is so bad about them?"

"They're all stuck up and privileged."

"You're privileged too."

"Yea but not like them. Look mom, I get we had to move for the better but at the same time, I just rather keep to myself, do what needs to be done and be on my way."

"Fine." She sighed and got up.

"How was Caitlyn?"

"She got more friends than me, that's for sure." I joked.

"Well as least one of my children is up for being sociable."

"Mmmm. She may wake up early tonight. She been asleep since we got home."

"Thanks son."

Kissing me on my forehead, she left. Going back to my homework, I sighed. My focus was completely off at this point so I just closed my books.

Laying on my back, I stared at the ceiling in my thoughts when my phone rang.

"My nigga Rico." I laughed. "Wassup bro?"

"Wassup is you coming to get me at this damn airport. That's wassup." He laughed.

"Nigga you for real?" I shot up.

"Yea man. My pops had some business to take care out outta town so I begged him to let me come outchea for the weekend."

"My nigga!" I exclaimed and got up.

"Yea so hurry ya ass up."

"Yea man, just sit tight."

Ending my call, I slipped on my vans and a tee and made my way downstairs.

"Momma?"

"Yes. Why are you shouting?"

"We got company this weekend."

"Really? Who?"

Grabbing my keys, I paused.

"Rico. He begged his pops to come out here while he went out of town on business."

"Oh really? Do I have to call this father to clarify that?"

"If you want to." I shrugged. "But I'm about to get him at the airport."