16

Josh

"JOSHUA!"

"Yo!"

Walking out my room, I stood at the top of the stairs only to see my mother staring at me.

"Wassup?"

"I need you to come clean up down here please."

"Do I have to?"

"Do you want to have a roof over your head and food in your belly?"

"You stay playing that card." I sucked my teeth.

"Because I can. Now come on."

Groaning, I walked back into my room and finished rolling my blunt. Packing it away, I dusted off my clothes and went downstairs.

"I need you to clean up the back and front yard as well."

"The hell kinda slave shit is this?"

"Make me pop you in your mouth."

"My bad but that's a lot momma."

"And? The longer you stand here arguing the longer you take to get it done."

Handing me the roll of trash bags, I scoffed and walked outside. Half the mess out here was because of my sister, yet I had to clean it up.

"Momma!"

"What Joshua?"

"Why you don't tell Cait to pick up her stuff?"

"Joshua just clean up and stop questioning me please." She turned and walked off.

"Aight. It's like that huh. Watch me throw all this shit away."

Picking up her toys, I placed them in one of the trash bags before raking up the leaves in the yard. Doing the front yard afterwards, I dragged ALL the bags to the curb and left them there.

Walking back into the house, my sister was coming down the stairs dressed.

"Why you dressed up like that?"

"I going out." She sassed me.

"Lah girl!" I followed behind her. "Momma where she going?"

"She has a play date today."

"Again? Is it every weekend now?"

"I have to work Joshua and I'm sure you have plans so Maria told me about her son's babysitter, a Ms. June and she agreed to watch Cait as well."

"And you're okay with this?"

"I've met the lady and seen her place."

"Well I'm driving y'all because I need to see this woman."

"You can pick her up later, I need to drive my car."

"Fine."

Finishing my chores, I heard Caitlyn asking for her toys that were on the back porch. Easing my way out of the living room, I attempted to go upstairs when my mother called me.

"I know damn well you ain't seriously threw her toys out."

"Ummm."

"Boy go get that shit back in here!" She pointed at the door. "The hell you think it is! My money spend on those toys!"

As I walked by, she smacked me behind my head. Chuckling, I got the bag and brought it back inside.

"Caitlyn come get your toys." She called her.