38

Joshua

"Momma? Have you seen my socks?"

"They're in the laundry room on the line."

Telling her thanks and kissing her on her cheek as I passed her by, I went into our laundry room and got them. We had our last game for the season before we went on winter break and this was going to determine whether we made it to the playoffs come February or not.

"Got them, thanks." I said as I walked by.

"Hold on, come back here."

"What's up?"

"You tell me. Why are you so perky?"

"No reason." I shrugged, same time my phone rang.

Seeing Leila's name, I smiled before telling my mom I had to take that call.

"Wassup love?"

"Nothing." She blushed. "I'm just calling to let you know I'm ready."

"Aight, I'll be there in like twenty five minutes."

"Okay, cool."

Jogging up the stairs, I threw my socks in my bag, got it and my book bag, and left."

"Later momma. Remember I'll be home late tonight."

"Mhmm." She hummed.

Kissing my sister on her forehead, I grabbed my sandwich and bit into it, holding it in my mouth as I got my keys and left. On my way to pick up my girl, I just jammed to the music playing while eating. Since our talk in the gym, things been on track with us. Communication lines been freely open and we were both happy. This was the happiest I'd been in a long time and I didn't want anything to change. Making a quick stop, I got out and got what I wanted.

"Thanks man!" I waved at the guy by the counter.

About to get into my truck, I heard my name called. Looking in the direction it came from, I sucked my teeth when I saw Joanna.

"Girl what you want?"

"Nothing. Just saying morning."

"Okay, cool. Bye."

Showing her peace, I pulled off. Shortly after, I pulled up at Leila's place. Going up to her door, as I was about to knock, it opened and she stood there smiling.

"Morning babe." She greeted me with a kiss.

"Morning love." I smirked. "Morning Mrs. Hassim!" I called.

Returning the greeting, Leila told her mom we were leaving.

"Last day huh?" She smiled as we got settled in my truck.

"Yup. You coming to my game tonight right?"

"Have I missed any?"

"Nope."

"Exactly."

Starting up, I left. Making our way to school, we both seemed to be in good spirits which I loved. Clasping hands as I drove with the other, I brought hers to my lips, kissing the back of it.

"You all set for tomorrow?"

"For Kareem's thing? Yeah I am."

"What about your flight?"

"I just have a few things to pack but yeah, basically. You're all packed?"

"Yeah." I glanced at her.

"Okay cool."

"You gonna miss me?"

"Are you going to miss me?" She smirked.