3

Leila

Sitting in my final class for the day, I lightly tapped my pen on my note book as I gazed out of the window. I was completely over this day and all I wanted to do was get home and get in my bed. Refocusing my attention on the board and what was going on, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.

"Bet its my mother reminding me about my brother." I mumbled.

Getting it out, I unlocked it and sure enough it was her, reminding me to get my brother from daycare.

"You act like I don't remember things?"- 2:06pm.

Shaking my head, I began to pack away some of my things so I could be out as soon as the bell rang. Unlocking my phone again, I smiled when I saw her response.

MaDukes: Because you don't so just say ok and leave it there. -2:15pm.

"Care to share the joke Ms. Hassim?"

Putting all the attention on me, I stared blankly at him.

"It's clear that whatever has your attention seems to be more amusing than your education."

"Well my mother ALWAYS gets my attention so." I shrugged.

Hearing the classroom snicker, he was about to speak when the bell rang.

"Pages fifty two to fifty five for homework!" He yelled as everyone left. "Leila?" He called me.

Sighing, I approached his desk. Mr. Robinson has always been on my ass for no reason and every year it annoyed me how I would have him as a teacher one way or the other.

"Yes Mr. Robinson."

"You can lose the attitude."

"I can't because I have to go get my brother from daycare and you're keeping me back."

"You know the use of cellphones are prohibited yet still you use it."

"I can't help it that my mother chose to message me the time she did. Maybe you should take that up with her."

Staring at me, amazed by my response, he just shook his head.

"Your mouth and attitude will get you into trouble. Mark my words."

"All I did was answer you with the truth, but if we are done now, can I go bout my business."

"Have a good afternoon Ms. Hassim." He dismissed me.

"You too Mr. Robinson." I walked off.

Heading to my locker, I saw Anna waiting for me.

"Bout time." She scoffed.

"Girl you know how Mr. Robinson hates me."

"What you did now?" She laughed.

"He wanna try to call me out because I was replying to my mother's text so I told him what it was." I shrugged.

"So you embarrassed the man in front his class again, didn't you?" She laughed as we walked out.

"He should know by now not to come at me and then want to tell me how my mouth and attitude would get me in trouble."

"Your mother says the same thing." We both laughed.

Heading to her car, I noticed the new kid approaching what I assumed to be his car, two spots down. Waiting for Anna to hit the locks, he looked over at me before getting into his car and pulling off.

"What you think about him?" She asked as I got in.

"Who?"

"The new kid, Josh."