63

Leila

"But dad?!?"

"No buts Leila, it's something I can't get out of."

"But you promised."

"I know but this is my job. The same job that is paying for your education as well as raising you and your brother. Sometimes these things come up and I can't get out of it."

"Fine. Whatever."

Sighing and completely over the conversation, I gave my mom back her iPad and left. Making my way back to my room, my mom called out to me but I honestly didn't want to hear it.

"I knew everything was just too good to be true."

Closing my bedroom door, I sat by my desk with my journal writing my thoughts out. For the past three months my life was just so smooth. In the back of my mind I knew something was going to change it but for it to be the possibility of my father not seeing me cross the stage, graduating as valedictorian just kills it for me.

Hearing my phone, I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. Cutting off and then ringing again, it was Josh. I knew if I didn't answer he would show up and I wasn't in the mood for that, let alone to talk on the phone.

"Yeah babe." I answered.

"I'm coming over. Ion like how you sounding."

"Not now please."

"Why not? What's wrong?"

"I'm not in the mood babe."

"Then you'll not be in the mood with me besides you."

"Josh?"

"I'm serious. I got a feeling something was off.."

"Josh."

"And I don't like that feeling at all."

"Josh?"

"Now you're telling me you're not in the mood."

"Joshua!"

Pausing, he stared at me, surprised that I yelled at him, I'm sure.

"I just want to be by myself for a bit okay. I'm grateful that you want to ensure that I'm good, but right now, I just want personal space."

"Aight ma. I get it. I'm sorry." He said in a tone I didn't know.

"Please don't be upset with me." I sighed. "That's the last thing I need right now to have to process."

"Alright, alright. I'm not upset with you babe. This has to be something big for you emotionally and the last thing I want is to add to it. Call me, message me, anything, when you're ready for me. I'll drop what I'm doing and come."

"Thank you." I replied trying not to cry.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"Go back to your writing."

"Mhmm." I nodded.

Ending the call, I exhaled. Unable to hold it back, the tears came. In the midst of it, I felt arms wrapped around me. Startled but still in tears, I looked up at my mother as she hugged me.

"You know he'll do all that he can to be there love."

"Why did they have to put it for that date though?"

"These things happen, especially within the medical field. Your father is top in his practice and is required to be at these seminars."

"I know but I just can't help but be upset. This is my high school graduation, he's never missed any of them. Grandma already isn't going to be there, now him. It's not fair."