Chapter 37: A Girl He Once Loved

*4 years ago*
*Urchin Underpass*

An Inkling girl with dark skin and orange eyes, let out a nervous whimper as she held onto her Dual Squelcher, shaking in fear, staring at a roller that was right in front of her.

Roller: it's over!

Lux saw the roller getting ready to dash at her and splat her in a single shot, and to respond, she closed her eyes and got readied herself for the worst. Lux heard the roller run straight towards her....but....then she heard a loud splat in front of her, making her open her eyes a little....seeing an Inkling boy....standing right in front of her.

Lux saw that the Inkling had dark skin, purple eyes, and a backwards cap, holding a splattershot. Instead of the Inkling boy wearing his tentacles in a ponytail like everyone else, he had his tentacles down, touching the sides of his face.

The Inkling boy turned around and looked at Lux, and Lux looked right back at him, seeing his beautiful amethyst colored eyes, and she saw the boy walk over to her, holding out his hand to her.

???: Are you okay?

Lux:.......

Lux let out a tiny nod, reaching up and grabbing the boy's hand, feeling now warm and soft it was, making her slightly embarrassed. The boy pulled her up and gave her a nod, then began to walk away, but was stopped by Lux's words.

Lux: wait!

???: Hm?...

Lux: I......I-I.....

The boy stood in silence, eventually catching on with the girl's nervous personality, making him smile just a little. The boy walked up to Lux, holding out his hand once more for a handshake while chuckling a little.

Miles: the name's Miles.

Lux:......Miles....

Miles: *Snickers* where's your headgear?

Lux: my...headgear?

Miles: yeah!.....you must be new here, huh?

Lux:....*tiny nod*....

Miles:....hm....well....

Miles took off his backwards cap, then placed it onto Lux's head, causing Lux to twitch just a little, feeling something surge through her body, confusing her a bit.

Lux:...w-what....was that?...

Miles: strength of courage and pride. I worked my ass off to perfect that cap.

Lux: what do you mean?

Miles: it has a whole lot of Damage up on it, the effects kick in and it'll enhance your performance during battle.

Lux: wait, r-really?!

Miles: yup, and it's not like I need it anymore, I'm planning on doing something related to run speed.

Lux: why?..

Miles: because I wanna learn how to use splatlings.

???: *Sigh* what are you doing, Miles?

Miles turned around and saw an Inkling girl with default white tentacles, wearing a visor and holding a splat charger. All Miles could do was laugh a little while rubbing the back of his head in embarrassment.

Miles: sorry Echo, I was just helping out a squadmate.

Echo looked over at Lux, raising her eyebrow at her, which only made Lux slightly scared and uncomfortable from Echo's glance.

Echo:....Echo.....that's my name.

Lux:...oh...I'm....Lux...

Echo: nice to meet ya....but let's talk later. we should focus on doing the actual objective.