Chapter 42: Self Doubt

Yumi stood outside of a medical room along with Coraline, and the two had an Inkling doctor shaking her head at them and letting out a tiny sigh.

Yumi:....

Coraline:...are they?....

Doctor: definitely not....I apologize....

The Doctor looked through some medical records and then glared straight at Yumi.

Doctor: your two friends are going to die soon.

Coraline:....What!?

Doctor: I did all that I could...but the injuries that they received were...way too lethal beyond repair.

Yumi:.....

Doctor: the boy was pierced straight through his stomach...yet...he didn't die on the spot. The especial stream that the girl used....it healed him from bleeding out, yet it infected him with a poisonous ink that's causing him pain and killing him slowly.

Coraline:....Miles....

Doctor: the especial stream must've been just to give a very slow and agonizing death to your opponents by healing them on the outside, yet destroying them internally. Since the boy was inflicted with more poison than the girl, it will make it's way through his body faster than her.

Coraline:....there's no...cure to it?....

Doctor: this poison has never been seen before....it will creep through the boy's body, starting from his stomach until it reaches his heart, then he'll perish....as for the girl...since she had less poison, she'll die later than him...but the poison will make its way to her brain instead of her heart since she was injured on her face.

The Doctor walked away, but then looked at Yumi once again with a disgusted look on her face.

Doctor: I hope you're happy with yourself.....maybe you should control that sister of yours....go home and enjoy the last bit of time you have with your friends, because from what I've seen....they won't survive to see the end of the exams....

Yumi:.....

Coraline: it wasn't Yumi's fault! Don't blame her!

Doctor:....*tsk*....

The Doctor walked off and Coraline looked at Yumi to see her looking slightly down at the ground, saddened by the news, but Coraline placed her hand on her shoulder and gave her a tiny smile and tried to cheer her up.

Coraline:.....we failed....but that's alright......let's head home and we can eat some delicious ice cream and tell Bella about our experience....

Yumi:......she wouldn't even want to see my face.....

Yumi walked over to the door, gently grabbing the knob and opening it to see Amira and Miles, and instead of the two grieving from the news, Amira was sitting in Miles' bed with her legs crossed, talking to him while Miles looked at her, very interested in what she had to say.

Amira:...it was a spark...as if the ink within me lit on fire...

Miles: on fire?...woah....

Coraline/Yumi: 0-0.....

Miles: so maybe I can unlock high tide if I really try my hardest, huh?

Amira: yes. I will make sure to lend you any assistance in doing so.

Coraline: w-what are you guys doing!?

Miles: oh, hey Coraline, hey Yumi.

Amira: you both should be watching Charlotte's fight with Lux.