Chapter 38: Romance and Rivalry

A small Charlotte was walking with a small box of chocolate, feeling her heart thumping rapidly as she approached her destination. Her hands began to shake, but it wasn't because she was scared....it was because she was flustered. A blush formed on her face as she turned a corner and saw her......an Inkling girl with pink tentacles and orange eyes.

The girl's hair was long and beautiful, flowing in the mysterious wind as she sat on a bench that was right in front of a cliff, with the bottom of the cliff consisting of a gigantic field of black flowers.

The Inkling girl turned around and saw Charlotte, letting out a nice, calm, and soothing smile that just made Charlotte's heart melt. Charlotte let out a little gulp and walked closer to her, seeing her wave at her, with Charlotte responding by waving straight back. Charlotte sat down on the bench and placed the chocolates on her lap, looking at the cliff and seeing the field of flowers that seemed to go on forever.

Charlotte:....C.....Coraline....

Coraline: Char! *Giggles* this is a first. You never actually invited me anywhere before....and I'm jealous that you've never showed me this place....it's so beautiful.....

Charlotte:....It's.......the abyss of endless memories.......this is where we would dispose of the fallen soldiers from battle, dropping them down in the abyss.....and their body would eventually turn into ink....seeping down into the dirt.....which would make a flower grow and bloom, representing their loyalty and honor.

Coraline:.........all of these flowers.....these represent......all of the Octolings that died?

Charlotte: *nods* I come here to think at times......and I.....can sense the happiness and joy from their souls after being released.

Coraline:.....that's why I can....feel slight shivers from my body ink.

Charlotte:.........C........Coraline.....

Coraline: mm?

Charlotte shook a little more from nervousness, but she managed to build of the courage to adorably scoot a little closer to Coraline and hold out the box of chocolate to her.

Charlotte:....please....accept....this.

Coraline: you got me chocolate?! Awwwwe, Charlotte, thank you!

Coraline gently took the box and rested it on her own lap, then sat back a little, chuckling while looking at Charlotte, who was looking away at the moment to hide her red face.

Coraline: I'll definitely eat all of these once I get hom-

Charlotte: N-No!

Coraline:.....why?

Charlotte: b-because.....I put.....something in there....something that I want you to see.....

Coraline: two presents in one?! Awe yeah!

Coraline began to open the box as Charlotte continued to look away from her, not watching her see the other awaited prise for her inside of the box. Charlotte heard Coraline grab the present from out of the box......and she stayed silent....

The silence grew longer and longer...that is until Charlotte just couldn't take it anymore......she twiddled her fingers and took a deep breath.....looking down at the ground.

Charlotte:......I wrote it because.....I.....I lov-......Love you.......and I......

Charlotte was so embarrassed that she began to laugh a tiny bit at herself to distract herself from the nerve-racking situation. Charlotte slowly turned her head around to face Coraline after finally controlling herself properly.