Twenty : Cringe

𝙋𝘼𝙎𝙏

The table was set with four chairs and laden with fruits, juices, pastries and lunch meats. The steam of hot noodles swirled up the air with a mouth-watering aroma.

I risked a gaze forward, studying the man lounging at the table and the view he surveyed. He was staring at the coleus grown beautifully on the pots, kept at the sill of window.

I know he sensed my lingering stare on him, soon his eyes flickered towards me, making my pulse speed up a bit. He blinked his eyes at me and smiled amicably, it somewhat made me feel relaxed.

I don't know why but i was so intimidated by taehyung's father, a fear was settled that i'd do something that will displease him. He didn't particularly do anything to make me nervous, it was all me.

I was at taehyung's house, the place i always looked from outside but never thought would capture a glimpse of it from the inside.

I lost count on how many times taehyung invited me to his home for helping him with his nearing semester exams. I always denied, i wasn't ready to meet his parents.

Yet taehyung managed to convince me with his sad face, i doubt if he purposefully acted gloomy so that he could get a yes from me. Nevertheless, here i was. Sitting in front of Mr. Kim who, like me, waited for taehyung and his wife to appear.

They were doing something in the kitchen and we were left here to wait. I was left here to breath my awkwardness. Every second, i was praying for taehyung to show up.

"So you graduated last month?" I clenched my fist to not flinch at his sudden deep voice. His voice was kind of similar to taehyung, pleasant and likeable.

"Yes" I slightly dipped my head to show my respect. I didn't know if i was behaving properly, i rarely ever sat with a elder.

"Ah" He nodded, "i attended the graduation ceremony, for congratulating my nephew"

I nod with a polite smile, i know this nephew. He's my classmate, afterall. I barely ever spoke to him, i just know his name is park bogum and he had once approached me for notes. He was kind of a heartthrob in the campus, a popular one.

"I saw you got the first class honors, that's really great" He praised and it felt so good.

"Thank you" I bowed my head again, atleast my high grades impressed him.

"I'm amazed you worked hard despite in your difficulties, keep it up" He smiled but i felt mine fade out.

"I have only seen kids like you getting influenced into bad habits, you know most of them turn into criminals" He was looking straight into my eyes while saying it so casually.

Kids like you, orphans. My heart sank, i never liked when people couldn't see through anything apart from me being orphan. I looked down, not wanting him to see my edginess.

"But you happen to prove not everyone are same" He nodded his head in a impressed way, "Good"

I didn't feel any good in that praise, i found it hard to lift my lips for a smile in response to his dry compliment.

I shifted my glance to my left side, where kitchen was probably as that's where taehyung had went with his mother.

I heard Mr. Kim's voice again, "I'll check what's taking them long"

I nodded my head with a smile, watching him amble towards his left. His thoughts about orphans was unfair, not everyone turn out to do bad things. It's just some lose track, they get least guidance after all.