81

* * *

* * *

September 1st came around and for the first time Catina was not heading to Platform Nine and Three Quarters. She sat twiddling her thumbs, staring down at her bouncing knees as most of the Order escorted Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny to the station.

Fred and George were working so she was alone. The Burrow was eerily quiet, not even the chickens in the coop were making noises. She felt anxious, like a bomb ticking waiting to explode. There was something strange going to happen - she could feel it in her bones.

She fiddled with the necklace that sat around her neck; the locket given to her by Prosper. She missed him, praying that he was okay. She hadn't had any contact with him in a few weeks but she was sure he was fine. He always came out fine in the end.

Lulu and Caspian had fallen off of the face of the earth. Since they graduated they disappeared, not literally but they were not responding to any of Catina's letters. Not even the Howler she sent them both.

With a fast-beating heart she stood up abruptly as the knitting needles that floated in the corner dropped. The air grew cold and her breath spiralled out before her in small clouds and the hairs on the back of her neck stood erect.

She peered outside. Nobody was out there. Everything was tranquil. Everything was sweet.

As she stepped away from the window her back collided with something or rather someone. She jumped, her arm swung out but was blocked, a tight grip twisting the skin on her wrist.

"What are you doing?" Demanded Catina, snatching her wrist back.

"We need to talk."

"Do we?"

George pushed her down, Catina landing on the sofa. He pinned her shoulders on the back of the sofa, and hovered over her. "Yes," he said. Catina eyed him carefully. He was breathing heavy and his eyes seemed sad. "You don't remember do you?"

"Remember what?"

"First year, around three weeks in."

"I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night do you really think I am going to remember a random day seven years ago?" She tried to push him off but he pushed his weight on her to keep her down.

George shook his head, he seemed desperate. "I have never despised someone as much as I do you. I forced myself to hate you every being because it hurt less than watching you, wanting you as much as I did. The second I laid eyes on you, I wanted you. I was eleven years old and very stupid to think someone as beautiful as you would feel the same. I was close I could have had you but your dickhead of a friend pushed me away. I couldn't even get close to you, he shunned me away."

"What are you talking about?"

"Prosper fucking Brynn! I asked him where you were, I wanted to ask you out. Yes as an eleven year old, I know! I had high hopes and it hurt like a fucking wand up my arse that he told me you hated me. He told me you wished I was dead. He told me to never go near you and I respected that. I didn't press forward. I watched you disappear, I watched him hold you and make you laugh, make you smile. I wanted to do that."

"I've never wanted anyone dead."

"But he told me you did! Then when I finally suppressed the stupid infatuation I had over you I turned it to hatred because that was the only way I could cope. It made me sick to the stomach for months but eventually it subsided. Then low and behold you end up at Headquarters. To make matters worse my own twin brother caught your eye. He gets to kiss you, he gets to cuddle you, make you happy. Whilst I, I have to sit and watch. You kissed me once!"

"I know," she said, baffled by the entire ordeal, trying to make sense of everything George had decided to randomly blurt out to her.

"You thought I was him but you kissed me and it made me so fucking electrified that all those past thoughts and feelings wormed their way back in and I haven't been able to get rid of them since!"

She watched as he chewed his bottom lip, his eyes staring hers, watering. He shook his head once more and loosened the grip he had on her shoulders, one hand trailing to her cheek, where he rubbed his thumb across her jaw.

"Why must you torture me this way? When you went to Azkaban I broke. I hid away whilst Fred wallowed in self-pity because he threw you away and I cried. I wanted you back safe and sound but I knew I would never have you even if you were here-"

"Please stop. I don't know what you think it's going to do-"

"Kitten?"

Catina's eyes opened. They blinked away the harsh light, adjusting to the blurred face above her. Fred had his arms around her, he lifted her with a gentle manner up so that she was sitting instead of laying back on the floor as he had found her.

"What-"

"Are you alright? Mum and dad nipped into the shop after dropping the others off and mentioned how you were alone, I came as soon as I could. I don't like the idea of you being completely by yourself. Good thing I did since I found you like this," Fred squeezed her brushing her hair out of her face. "What do you remember?"

"I was uneasy. I looked outside and stepped back when I saw nothing. I- I must have dreamt, nevermind."

He kissed her head, "You sure? You can talk to me about it."

She couldn't tell him that she thought George confessed he had feelings for her. That would cause a divide between the two and make George dislike her more. She felt it was better to keep quiet about the entire ordeal. Not knowing exactly what happened played on her mind, was she dreaming it or did she blackout whilst George was here? Did he confess to her.

Catina looked down at her wrist. There were no marks from he grabbing her wrist. She must have dreamt it. Surely.

"No I'm fine, I promise."