34

* * *

* * *

That night, as usual, Fred and Catina met downstairs, only this time, Fred had a surprise waiting for her. Half-asleep and her pyjamas askew, Catina entered the drawing-room not expecting to see three parcels and some chocolates waiting for her beside Fred who was lounging on the floor beside them. Upon seeing the girl he sat p and took her by the wrists, dragging her to sit down. She let out a moan of pain as she landed awkwardly but nevertheless didn't say anything about it.

"Merry Christmas, kitten," he told her and pushed the presents over to her.  Catina's heart sunk once more, she didn't get him anything either. She didn't know what to do. Fred noticed something in her face change and now he was confused. "What's up?"

"I didn't get you anything..."

"Oh well, you can have these and give me kisses in return, no biggie." Fred shrugged and pushed the presents to her again. "Go on, open them, I want some kisses before next Christmas comes."

Catina giggled softly and tore into them. There were some bandages and plasters in one of them. In the second, there were some socks which looked as if they were pre-owned but oh well, and in the third was some pyjamas, also seemingly pre-owned.

"Thank you, Fred," said Catina sincerely. She didn't seem to notice the fact that they were predominantly pre-owned because she was more concerned that these were some of the first presents she had ever gotten.

Fred looped his right index finger under her chin and brought their lips together for a short, tender kiss. "I know having a pair of my pyjamas isn't as good as getting brand new ones but I figured it would feel as though I was with you when you can't sleep or you're cold or if you're feeling lonely and I'm not physically there. And I know pre-owned socks isn't great but yours look kind of worn out and mum makes loads. I haven't worn these before, don't worry, but they are mine, well, now yours-"

"Darling, I love it all. I told you I didn't expect anything but these are more than enough. You've been really thoughtful."

"Well, dad always preaches that it's the thought that counts and I want you to know I'm there for you always. Maybe not physically but I'm there. Cat, you've really had an impact on my life and I'd have never believed you if you'd have told me a year ago that this would have happened I wouldn't have believed you. I'm so glad it has because I want to make you happy. And not just happy on the outside. I want you truly happy. You're not there yet and I can see that, I have more walls to break down and bridges to help you rebuild. You got that, Kitten?"

"I got it."

To say that Christmas was a time Catina now enjoyed and didn't know she would, would be an understatement. This night would forever be instilled in her memory as one of the best days of her life. She adored Fred, she really did and he made her day all the more special than Harry had already done so. She couldn't thank the two boys enough and she vowed that she would get them something during the next Hogsmeade Trip, if someone signed her permission slip.

Fred, who didn't want any present back much to her surprise, didn't back down on his word and did take as many kisses as he could before Catina grew tired and wanted to go to sleep. She kissed him one last time and snuck back into the bedroom, tucking her presents away in her trunk (if Ginny caught sight of her brother's clothes and socks she would probably be very suspicious) and then she slipped into bed. On her pyjamas, worn and thin, she could still smell Fred on the cuff of her sleeves and settled down with her nose pressed against the fabric.

The sensation of having someone care for her the way Fred did was truly spectacular! She felt as if a permanent hug was wrapping her up and keeping her warm. She always had someone to look forward to talking to. Albeit, she had Prosper, Luisa and Caspian, but she spent most days with them and all day so what she experienced, they did too so there was never anything that she could rush up to them and gossip about. Predominantly, she say in silence with Prosper as Luisa and Caspian bickered of shared stories about what they had heard. With Fred, he always had something for her to listen to that she had no idea about. He didn't treat her like a porcelain doll, either.

When Fred returned to bed, George was sat awake expectantly. Fred looked at him with raised eyebrows as he tugged off his shirt, throwing it onto the pile of dirty clothes before hopping into bed. "What?" He asked his twin who continued to stare at him.

"Nothing, nothing at all, brother."

"Come off it, Georgie, what is it? Jealousy?"

"Jealous? Why would I be jealous? She's a snake. I don't care how much she supposedly cares for you she lives in the pit. She's probably poisoning you with her venom!"

Fred threw his head back in laughter, his chest vibrates heavily as he guffawed. "Can't you come off it already? Honestly, George, you sound like a complete tosser right now. If you actually give her a chance and get to know her you'll see that she is different."

"Oh yeah, she's so different! No, that's right, she is, she howls after the moon once a month now! She has those freaks for friends and-"

"Merlin's beard, it doesn't half smell of bullshit in here. Goodnight."

"Just listen-"

"I said goodnight!"