01

* * *

* * *

It was nothing far from a usual July 1st, as Catina Lennox wheeled her trunk throughout Kings Cross Station, her six-year-old fluffball of a cat, Juno, resting on her shoulder earning the girl a fair few odd looks from passers-by. The girl was not fazed by the time, knowing she was at least ten minutes earlier than her foster mother would have been to pick her up from the station after another year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. To say this year had been eventful would have been an understatement! The school had hosted the Tri-Wizard tournament which was much more awful than it was good, resulting in the death of a popular student - Cedric Diggory.

Despite Cedric's death being awfully tragic, Catina was not as affected by his death in comparison to other students having not been close to, nor even an acquaintance to the boy, based on the fact that she was not in his house, neither did she sit near him nay classes that they shared. Rather than dwell on the tragedy, which would then lead to questions from her foster family who were muggles that did not understand magic whatsoever, the girl decided to continue on with her life as if nothing of the sort had happened and that this year, like many other years that she had lied about, was far from exciting.

Outside of the station, Catina was met by a brisk summer breeze and many busy commuters who did not give a second thought about who they were pushing past or barging into if it meant they were going to get to their destination on time. The beauty of London, right? Sighing, the girl leaned up against the wall of the station, waiting for someone to pick her up when she watched fellow students being ushered here, there and everywhere, many of which tried to blend in with the muggles around them but failed to due to their eccentric choices of clothing that did match with the latest (nor the previous) fashion sense. She found herself snickering when a second year's father came bundling out of the entrance wearing flared trousers, a Hawaiian shirt with a leather jacket over the top, along with the most hideous sunglasses she had ever laid eyes on. (Bright purple with mustard yellow paint splatters on them with diamontes bordering the lenses).

The time ticked on and the night began to settle in, street lamps turning on much like headlights on passing cars. Her foster mother was never on time but this was late, especially for her. Catina glanced at her watch impatiently, her foot tapping on the concrete pavement below her as the bitter nights' air began to nip at the skin on her neck. "Come on," she murmured, picking Juno off of her shoulder and hugging him close to her chest as a way to keep warm. She hated the cold and it seemed it hated her too because she was often getting the sniffles or the flu even when it was mid-summer. Juno purred, nuzzling his head into her chest as he too, grew tired of waiting to be picked up so that he could curl up on the back seat and sleep until they arrived back at the house where he would then moved to the foot of Catina's bed and stay there for the majority of the night.

"Catina Lennox?" An unfamiliar voice brought the girl from her thoughts, bringing her to snap her head in the direction of a young woman in her twenties with bubblegum pink hair and a mischievous smirk.

Catina looked her up and down, recognising her but not knowing where from. "Who wants to know?" She asked, flicking her right eyebrow up and down, chewing the inside of her cheek.

"I'm Tonks, Dumbledore has sent me to collect you." The woman smiled, extending her hand out for Catina to shake.

"Why?" asked the girl, neglecting Tonks' hand yet taking one hand from Juno and placing it on her hip, ready to grasp her wand, which was tucked into the waistband of her jeans and hidden by her jumper, in case of an emergency.

"It's probably best if I let him explain," replied Tonks, pulling her hand away. "Look, I know this is scary, some random woman turning up and not giving you a reason other than the fact she has been told to but please, trust me."

Catina shook her head, "No way! You're off your nut if you think I'm goign to willingly come with you, darling!" Deciding that she would be better off leaving this 'Tonks' woman in order to keep herself safe, Catina neglected the fact her foster mother should be arriving soon and stormed off in the opposite direction, dragging her trunk behind her, hugging Juno tightly and weaving her way through the late-night pedestrians.

Tonks rolled her eyes and chased after the girl with the fiery attitude. It wasn't difficult despite her lack in height because thankfully Catina made up off it with her tallness and wild brunette curls that bounced as she strode away. Tonks managed to catch up with Catina only moments later and deciding that there was no way of reasoning with her, Tonks shoved Catina into an alleyway, grabbed hold of her wrist and her trunk and disapparated with a crack which went unnoticed in the hustle and bustle of London during rush hour.

Landing in a park, Catina lurched forward clutching her stomach as she tried not to gag. Whatever had just happened was not the most pleasant way of travel- apparating, despite having done the test and passed, Catina didn't think she would ever get used to it. Glaring at Tonks who stood before her, Catina shook her head, "darling, if you're going to kidnap me give me some warning next time before you squeeze me into a tight tube. At least that way I can kick your arse beforehand."

Tonks chuckled, "Don't worry, I will. Except I haven't kidnapped you, I have merely taken you without your permission."

"So kidnap."

"Not really, now come on, before we miss dinner." Tonks took hold of Catina's wrist once more and went to pull both the girl and the girl's trunk in her other hand, but Catina stayed put. "Seriously? You're going to act like that? Look, Dumbledore is inside the house ready to explain everything but you need to cooperate in order to find out!"

Catina sighed, "Fine! But I will leave if you're lying and you won't be able to stop me this time."

"Oh trust me, you won't be leaving."

Catina glanced towards the woman in a confused way as she let her drag her across the street and up to house number 11 and 13. The two waited as the houses grew apart, Catina watching in a mix of amazement and bewilderment as a new, totally different house emerged between the two, a single bronze number 12 on the door. Tonks grinned opening the door for her and the girl to enter that dark, kind of creepy old house which smelt a little of damp dog and a lot of sausage casserole.

"Welcome to 12 Grimmauld Place," said Tonks who promptly tripped over a coat stand, causing a dusty red curtain to fall open revealing a portrait of a sharp looking old woman with a sour tongue. "BLOOD TRAITOR!" She screamed at the woman with bubble-gum pink hair who blushed at her clumsiness. "IN MY HOUSE! BLOOD TRAITOR!"

"OH DO SHUT UP!" Bellowed a deep voice from the doorway of a room causing Catina to tear her eyes away from the portrait and revert them to a slender man, with long raven-coloured curls, dressed in a set of dark purple robes. He slid the curtain shut, silencing the portrait and smiled, "Sorry about her. She's better unseen and not heard. You must be Catina, I'm S-"

"Sirius Black. I know, mass-murderer, pretty low what you did, darling." Catina cut him off, raising her eyebrows.

Sirius barked with laughter, "I'm no murderer, sweetheart, just an innocent man who was framed. But you didn't know that so I won't hold it against you."

Catina looked him up and down, "figures, I don't think murderers would dress like...well that!"

Sirius nodded his head, "I doubt that either but being as I am currently a fugitive and cannot stroll into shops to buy some new clothes I just take what I can get. Wait, why aren't you scared? Most people would be scared of me."

The girl shrugged, "dunno. Why am I here?"

"Ah, I think I can help with that..."