43

* * *

* * *

The next morning there was a dark, harrowing feeling gracing the school. Students could sense it and whispered among themselves, clumping together in groups, nobody daring to walk the corridors alone. At breakfast, the room was cold and a deadly silent was upon them, it was as though a dementor had drained all life from everyone, it was dull and grey, the only colour being Umbridge's pink clothes; even the house colours seem to be dim.

All students and teachers were gathered together for what seemed liek the first time in the morning ever and even the teachers were baffled. Harry was on high alert and he sat up tall scanning the room to see if there was anything strange, well stranger, than it already was. Everybody was present, all eating quietly and wearily or so it seemed until his eyes landed on the Slytherin tables.

He ran his eyes over everybody until he landed on Prosper, Luisa and Caspian, they were the only three that seemed to stand out as they stared at the space left beside Prosper. The space left for Catina. Harry furrowed his eyebrows and ducked his head down, leaning in closer to Ron, Hermione and Neville Longbottom. "Cat's not here." Said Harry lowly.

"What?" Exclaimed Ron with a mouthful of sausage.

"Look, everyone is present except her, that's concerning."

Hermione turned to look and indeed Harry was correct. Her movements caught the attraction of Ginny who was sat by the twins and their friends. She cocked her right eyebrow at Harry who explained what he had said to her. Ginny, despite being told about the breakup, nudged Fred who was whispering jokes with George and Lee.

"What?"

"Cat's not here."

"Do I care?"

"Don't you think it's a little odd considering it is already massively weird around here?" Ginny hissed, "and don't act like you don't care I know you do you absolute wazzock!"

Fred glanced over at the Slytherin table and his heart sunk. He really did care, he was just frustrated in the moment and didn't know why he said all of those bad things to Catina. He regretted it the moment he got back to 12 Grimmauld Place but decided to play it off as if he didn't to save himself from embarrassment.

Even George looked somewhat concerned.

Fred went to retort at his sister but the familiar coughs of Umbridge bounced off of the walls and brought everyone's pitiful attention onto her. With Dumbledore one she was made new headmistress and nobody liked that.

"Hem-hem, now I must inform you since it will be in the morning newspaper and I fear it is my duty as your headmistress to inform you all. Last night a student was removed from school premises, she shall never return for she is a ghastly beast! No beast shall ever roam these halls or sit among you. No beasts deserve to be anywhere near civilisation and it will never be again. For being an unregistered werewolf is, in fact, a crime! A crime which results in life in Azkaban prison. Just that is deserved for the likes of Catina Lennox!"

Gasps echoed around the hall and people's mouths dropped to the table. Fred grew angry, he wanted to murder the toad but Ginny held onto him because she knew he would do it. Prosper, Luisa and Caspian looked between themselves, flabbergasted. This couldn't be true!

McGonagall looked appalled along with every other teacher, including Snape, because Catina was a well-liked student. She was diligent, intelligent and didn't wreck havoc. She did not deserve any of this.

"YOU'RE LYING!" Harry roared rising to his feet, slamming his fist on the table.

"Mr Potter you will do well to remember that you must not tell lies and I certainly do not. Catina Lennox is a beast and is already in it's home for the rest of it's disgusting life, a cell in Azkaban, she was taken there last night by the Minister for Magic himself."

"She is not a beast you foul, evil toad!" Luisa screamed, "so what if she howls at the moon once a month? That's awesome!"

"Why couldn't she just get registered?" Asked Caspian, "then she would be able to stay here, right?"

"ABSOLUTELY NOT! A BEAST IS A BEAST AND SHALL NOT ROAM THESE HALLS!"

Firenze, a centaur who had taken over Professor Trelawny's position, moved towards Umbridge but was halted by McGonagall. "You are the beast!"Exclaimed McGonagall in fury. Umbridge didn't respond, she stayed proud of her word and kept her head held high despite the protests from Luisa, Caspian, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Fred. Prosper remained silent as always and George simply looked at the table.

I suppose you are wondering just what happened last night during the detention in order for things to turn out this way. Well, it went like this...

Catina arrived at the office and entered quietly, she wasn't going to put up a fight because she was too tired to do so. Instead, she took her seat just like Umbridge had granted her too and waited for her punishment. It didn't come.

"Have some tea."

She did as she was told.

It tasted foul, fouler than usual.

"Answer me this, Miss Lennox, do you like me?"

"I would rather slit my throat than like you, darling," said Catina, her eyes widening at her own words. What was going on?

Umbridge was shocked by the girls' words but smirked because she knew the truth serum was working perfectly. "Now, I heard through the grapevine from a little birdy that you have a secret. A rather dangerous secret Miss Lennox. Are you prepared to tell me what it is?"

NO!

"Yes."

"Oh good, are you human?"

YES!

"No."

"What are you then?"

"A werewolf."

God damnit Catina!

The woman faltered from hearing the words she had said. Immediately Fudge and his colleagues entered the office, along with Percy Weasley who Catina would recognise anywhere. She grew scared all of a sudden, like a small child curled up in the corner with adults towering over her.

"Miss Lennox are you aware that being an unregistered werewolf is a serious crime?"asked Fudge, the Minister for Magic.

"No."

"Did you know that the punishment is life in Azkaban?"

"No."

Her heart beat quickened and tears brimmed in her eyes. She began to shake as she was pulled to her feet. It was rough and she had never been handled in such a bad way. She was speechless and wanted to scream for help but she knew that was not going to work. She looked at Percy who didn't know that she had anything to do with his family, he couldn't look at the defenceless girl being handcuffed using magic. He stared at a painting on the wall which shook its head and disappeared- it was only one of three regular portraits remaining in that office.

"Please... no..." she sobbed, "if I'd have known I would have registered!"

"LIES!"

"I'm not lying! Please!"

"Catina Lennox you are hereby being arrested for being an unregistered werewolf with no intent on registering. You will remain in Azkaban Prison until your dying day, without trial."

"No! Please!"

"You do not have to say anything. It is non-negotiable-"

"NO!"