Mark Cohen- Twenty Dollars (c)

For the past five years, you had been in a happy relationship with Mark, and you wouldn't have changed that for the world. Maybe you would change the fact that you were living with him and his roommate but seen as you were basically squatting in the loft, you couldn't really argue with the fact. It had recently been your fifth anniversary as a couple and that had been on your mind, everything that had happened between the two of you, all of the big moments that brought you to that day and as you lay in bed with him trying to fall asleep, your first meeting played in your mind.

"Do you remember how we met?" You asked, your voice hoarse from not having spoken for a while.

Mark rolled over to face you, leaning up on an elbow so that he was about to look down at you laying on your back.

"At the bar a couple of blocks away?" He said, hesitant as though he was giving the wrong answer to the question given to him.

"Yeah," you nodded. "I was out getting a drink with some friends, and I saw you sat in a booth with Roger and Collins, but I would never have approached you, so I was very grateful when you were brave enough to come over to talk to me."

Mark chuckled, moving his free hand to rest on your exposed stomach from your night shirt shifting as you lay in bed.

"I wasn't brave," he stated. "I was a bit drunk, and I really wanted twenty dollars."

You cocked your eyebrow at him, not having any idea what he meant. You remembered the smell of alcohol on his breath, and you were at a bar, so it wasn't a huge leap to assume he was a little drunk, but you didn't know what the latter meant.

He let out a sigh at your confusion. "Roger bet me twenty dollars to go over to you."

You felt a pain in your chest but did your best to hide it, not wanting to overreact to something that you didn't know the full story about.

"I was a bet?"

Mark paused.

"Roger saw that I was staring at you, and when he saw you smile over at us, he tried to convince me to ask to buy you a drink. I was scared that you'd laugh in my face. He didn't think you'd agree to having a drink with me and that gave me the courage I needed to speak with you. I honestly thought I was about to lose twenty dollars and get a drink thrown in my face but luckily you agreed to have a drink with me."

The pain subsided.

"So, you didn't just ask me out for a bet?" You asked.

"Of course not. I just needed the extra push of courage to be able to come a speak to a beautiful woman at the bar."

You leaned in to kiss him, glad that you fought the initial urge to doubt his sincerity.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.