Tom Collins- Love (c)

You had met a guy at work and had gotten along pretty well. It finally came to the point where you wanted to go out on a date together and he suggested meeting in the local park for a picnic. The idea seemed perfect. The day of the date finally rolled around and you headed to the park half an hour before you were set to meet with him and waited on a park bench.

After an hour of being sat there, you were markedly concerned about him not being there, but the traffic probably wasn't great or something else was delaying him. With another couple of hours following that you were certain he wasn't coming but part of you had hoped he would. Happy couples had walked past, giving you concerned looks when they saw you sat there doing nothing. Anyone who saw you shot you the same concerned and pitiful look, it made you feel terrible to know that everyone else had accepted you weren't getting a date, other than you.

As you were about to leave a man sat down next to you.

"You alright?" He asked.

You weren't sure what to say. You didn't expect to have a conversation with a complete stranger. Your heart hurt, not because you loved the guy, you barely knew him, but it hurt you to think that there was something wrong with you that meant he didn't turn up.

"Yeah," you said softly.

"Liar," the man laughed. "Someone stand you up?"

To the heck with it, you thought. This man was a stranger and it wasn't like you were going to see him again, why not tell him the pain you felt.

"A guy from work. Asked me on a date. We were going to have a picnic, but that was about two hours ago," you shrugged.

"Well he sounds like a knob," he stated. "No one deserves to be sad, especially not about someone like him."

You couldn't help but smile at his comment. Maybe that guy was a complete knob.

"I don't even know why I'm upset. I barely knew him..." you sighed. "I guess I just wanted him to be the one, God, I'm going to die alone."

He let out a laugh resting a hand on your shoulder to reassure you.

"That's a little dramatic. Granted I felt the same. Everyone does I guess at some point. But you'll meet someone, maybe at the weirdest of moments," he smiled. "I met my partner, Angel, after being beaten up in an alleyway. She found me, patched me up and the next day paid for my friends and I to have the best Christmas we'd ever had. It didn't seem to start the best, but she makes me smile, makes me laugh and makes the world seem less grey."

You smiled softly. You wanted someone who would make everything seem easier, but you didn't know how to find that person.

"It'll be okay kid. You've got lots of love ahead of you, some won't work, some will, you'll find someone one day," he smiled.

"Thank you, you've made me feel a lot better about this," you said softly. "I don't even know your name."

"Collins. Tom Collins."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request