chapter 01

Chapter 01 : The Sky Arena≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

Where islands floated in skies of ocean blue, where stars dripped into people's dreams, where whispering winds caressed soft skins on tall hills, the Lucinda Kingdom stood proudly.

In the Eastern Trillium Village, peasants wandered the lower grounds completing daily tasks for their lords. A peasant named Huang Suyin was harvesting vegetables for tonight's dinner. The Sun's heat seared her skin, forcing her sweat to stride down her face. The black that drenched her hair didn't help her matter either. As Suyin set her woven basket of vegetables on the ground, she rose up, tying her hair into a low ponytail. Reaching down for her basket again, an all too familiar voice chirped through the air.

"How's it going for you so far, Suyin?" Miyoung asked, galloping over the dirted grounds to reach her best friend.

Suyin glanced over her shoulder to see Miyoung bouncing like a rabbit, and she released a chuckle. "I'm just about done. How's the water supply?" Suyin replied.

"Kind of boring since we usually visit the water well together. But it is what we get for waking up so late today. I heard my mom's tutting when we woke up this morning." Miyoung's chuckle trailed off, watching Suyin tug on a few carrots.

While Miyoung observed Suyin finishing her morning chores, she extended her hand. Another carrot flew out of the dirt on its own, laying into the vegetable pile in Suyin's basket. "That should be enough carrots," Miyoung commented, and the corners of her lips reached for the sky.

Suyin gently smiled at Miyoung's assistance, and she nodded. "Thanks, Young. If only I could have a useful power like yours, or even an average one...and not one that... yeah," Suyin pursed her mouth tightly, adjusting the basket in her arms.

Miyoung scrunched her lips to the side, and she offered a hand to Suyin's shoulder. "At least we have each other, yeah?... I mean, unless my mom orders me to do another chore separate from yours again–" Miyoung laughed, and her eyes suddenly popped open. "Oh! But don't forget that we're going to the Sky Arena tomorrow!"

"Right, we've been looking forward to it for so long! Our village is incredibly lucky to have been picked. Watching the Warrior Trials will be legendary," Suyin smiled along.

"Yes, and we're finally allowed to visit a floating island!" Miyoung squealed, planting both of her hands on Suyin's shoulders.

"Yep!" Suyin said, "Imagine being born as a noble and living up in the sky like that–it must be a dream. I don't think we'll be able to get any sleep tonight, knowing how the both of us are going to be screeching like birds the whole night before tomorrow."

"Ah, yes. A very good description of the future," Miyoung responded.

For years, the girls have dreamt of visiting a floating island, where only the nobles and lords were allowed to live on. Peasants and villagers like them were to live on the lower grounds. However, tomorrow was going to be the Warrior trials–a day to experience a once in a hundred years event.

≿━━━━༺◎༻━━━━≾

The morning Sun drizzled over the Sky Arena, enriching every little detail of it. The light drenched the white marble walls as if it were handed right from the Heavens. Water born from the fountains poured off of the island itself, gradually cascading onto the main grounds. Even the fresh scent blessed everyone's senses.

Standing outside in a crowded line of villagers, Suyin, Miyoung, and Miyoung's mother were gaping at the ethereal structure before them. Being so high up in the air only served their hearts an extra beat of excitement.

"Look at how gorgeous it is up here!! I can't comprehend all of it," Miyoung gasped, "everything glows up here, and the water looks so clean!"

"I've– we've never seen such amazing architecture," Suyin added, allowing Miyoung to shake her arm out of pure joy.

"We're inches away from being near nobles as well," Miyoung's mother said, glancing at a separate line that contained lavish people who stood around politely.

"This is INSANE!! I can't– this is– I have to pee," Miyoung muttered at the end, and she ran off all of a sudden, leaving Suyin's side.

Suyin shook, and she stared at Miyoung's running figure with concern.

"I'll be back!" Miyoung shouted while waving her hand. Miyoung's mother heaved a sigh, and she patted Suyin's back.

"Wait! Miyoung-ah!" Her mother called after her, and her arms dropped to her sides. "I should go with Miyoung. Stay here for a moment, Suyin?" Miyoung's mother abandoned her side as well.

Suyin nodded. She drowned in the crowd of chatters, but she snatched her chance to study the exterior design of the stadium. The staircases didn't have the slightest chip, the grounds were as smooth as a calm lake, and the Eight Warrior statues propped at the top were carved masterpieces. As a peasant who had never seen such beauty, this was already a dream come true.

A cry hauled Suyin out of her short reverie. Suyin whipped her head around, and her eyes dropped to a sobbing child in front of her. She froze. Sifting her vision around, Suyin couldn't spot anyone who seemed to be this child's guardian. She took a step forward and crouched down, meeting the child's height.

"Hey, what's wrong, dear?" Suyin asked, tilting her head.

The child blinked his teary eyes at the raven-haired girl. He grasped the end of his shirt, sniffling. "I can't find m-mom," he blubbered.

Suyin frowned between her eyebrows, hoping the child was only lost and hadn't been betrayed. For a moment, she empathized with the little boy, sensing an unwelcome memory. She offered him a kind smile. "It's okay, I'm sure she'll come back soon," Suyin reassured. Her smile rested away as he only continued to sob.

As a risky idea came to mind, her heart begged her not to do it. But she lifted her head once more, viewing the people who were immersed in their conversations, or taken away by the glorious architecture of the arena. Suyin pursed her lips, and she closed her eyes for a moment before giving in.

"Hey, hey." Her voice stole the boy's attention. "I... I have a secret to show you, but you cannot tell anyone else, okay? It'll be between me and you."

The boy's cries lessened, and his shaking shoulders gradually eased. Suyin glanced around once more before lifting her hand. "Watch." Suyin shifted her hand towards the stone railings, delicately swaying her fingers. The shadows slithered out from the stones, and like thick smoke, they began to shape into animals. Suyin bit on her tongue in concentration–gradually creating a rabbit.

The boy's mouth fell agape, and his fists loosened. "Wow, your powers are really cool," he murmured.

Suyin's eyes rested on her hand for a minute, soaking in what the boy had just said. She hummed, discovering a feel that sprouted from his genuine words. She was almost shocked since she hadn't heard a compliment like that since she first met Miyoung all those years ago.

"Mhm, but keep quiet, remember?" Suyin said, pressing her index finger onto her lips. The boy nodded his head happily.

"Here, you can stay with me and watch the Warrior Trials with me for now. I'll help you look for your mother while I can," Suyin told him, setting her hands atop her knees. The boy nodded once more, and he pointed to her hands.

"Can you make a dolphin?" He asked.

An amused puff of air escaped her nose, and she lifted her hand once more. "Okay...and what's your name?"

"Chenle!"

Suyin chortled once more. "Okay, Chenle. I can try."