chapter 18

Chapter 18 : Shadows Arise≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

The team rode off on their dragons as soon as the golden sun peeked from the grounds. They flew towards the west for hours, enduring the heat of the sun staring down at their skins.

Suyin rode on the same dragon as Heesung and Jungwon. Midair, Suyin watched Heeseung hold a stone in his palm, projecting a map. Heeseung tapped on the projection, focusing on the Forbidden Mountains. Chills already shivered up Suyin's spine. Only stories about the Forbidden Mountains have remained to breathe for the last thousand years–no one had traveled out there in ages.

Heeseung tapped again on a familiar floating island. The team's mid-point goal was the Myoui Shiro–a palace that floated high over a lower-ground village buried in sakura trees and Shinto shrines. The Forbidden Mountains stood in the far west while the Myoui Shiro lived on the way from the north. The team planned to stay at the Myoui Shiro overnight before continuing their journey to the west.

"I'm so excited to stay at the Myoui Shiro! Everything in this region of Lucinda is gorgeous," Sunoo giggled from the dragon beside theirs.

"The only reason you want to go to that palace is the glowing sakura trees," Sunghoon deadpanned behind. Sunoo poked his bottom lip out at Sunghoon and squinted his eyes.

"The Yugana region is the most beautiful location of the kingdom," Niki boasted. "There's a reason why the towns and shrines are so popular amongst tourists."

"You're literally biased because you're from this region of Kingdom Lucinda," Sunghoon noted.

"Yeah, my parents own the grand Kaminari Shiro," Niki continued, hand laying on his chest proudly.

"Alright, kids, after we rest at the Myoui Shiro, we'll be halfway to the Obex," Heeseung announced, and he stuffed the stone map away in his pocket. Suyin tilted her head at the word Obex, but Heeseung cut her off. "As of now, it's been a few hours since our last stop, and there's another town ahead. Our dragons need a break, so I say let's take a short stop before we go on."

Their dragons elegantly dipped towards the lower grounds. As their heavy claws greeted the dirt, the team hopped off their dragons and entered the peaceful town. Suyin naturally fell behind the boys and observed the dirt ground. White blossom petals decorated the floor like sugar. She trampled on the fallen petals until she noticed odd pieces of long hair lying on the ground. She hummed to herself, scrutinizing the dark hair. Before Suyin could question the finding further, she saw the boys entering a restaurant to quench their thirst.

Suyin followed over, and she peered through the entrance curtains. Townsfolk shared laughter with the boys, offering them free drinks. Their glorious joy melted a frown on Suyin's face, and her head lowered. Suyin nodded to herself and sat outside at the tables. She knew her presence usually spoiled these types of moments for everyone. The best she could do was isolate herself.