chapter 11

Chapter 11 : A Baihu's Roar≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

Arriving at a forest, Jungwon hopped off the dragon first. He held out a gray stone in his hand, activating a projection of a map. His eyes scanned over the place, mentally marking directions in his head.

"Hey, can you help me down?" Suyin asked from behind.

"Do it yourself," Jungwon said, disregarding her struggles. He resumed analyzing the map until a pinecone smacked the back of his head. His eyebrow furrowed, and he shoved the stone map back into his pocket. "Okay, fine!"

Their hands connected once again. As Suyin's feet met the ground, Jungwon yanked his hand out of her hold. "Let's go–we've got no time to lose," he said, marching forward.

Suyin inhaled the grounds of dirt and grassy scent. As they sailed into the forest's shadows, Suyin's eyes bounced off of the patches of sunlight on the grounds. Birds sang to each other across seas of trees, and their flapping wings fluttered through her ears.

As for Jungwon, he had never walked on lower grounds before–being the nobleman he was. All nobles and people of higher social ranks lived on floating islands while middle and lower classmen lived on the lower grounds. The floating islands had their benefits–safety from the lower ground creatures, freshwater, and much more. Jungwon noticed slight differences in the forest's details like the way trees had grown–curving like veins. The leaves were also brownish instead of perfect vibrant green.

"What's that?" Suyin wondered.

Jungwon looked over his shoulder, turning his attention to where Suyin was pointing. In the distance, a black creature sat on a rock, bathing in a pool of sunlight. He instantly recognized it, and he shook his head. "Huh, I didn't know they lived on the lower grounds too," he whispered, and he settled his attention back on his map, "winged cats usually roam the higher grounds. I suggest you don't go near it because they aren't fond of humans–"

Jungwon's eyes shot open as he watched the girl walking towards the cat fairy.

"Yah!" Jungwon gritted his teeth. "It's going to scratch and bite your face off! Get–"

To the boy's surprise, the black cat nudged its tiny head against Suyin's hand. Jungwon tilted his head to the side, trying to fathom what he was seeing. A human had never been this close to a winged cat before. Perhaps it had something to do with...Suyin being a Shadow Wielder?

Jungwon ambled over to Suyin with hesitance raking over him. The creature seemed innocent. Its transparent amethyst wings glimmered in the sunlight. He lifted his hand in an attempt to touch the creature as well...until a threat glowed inside the cat's piercing eyes. A hiss escaped the creature–fangs spiking out.

"You don't like him either, huh?" Suyin whispered to the cat, caressing its smooth black fur.

Jungwon rolled his eyes, and he spun on his heels. "Whatever– come on. We need to get going."

Suyin straightened her back, quietly waving goodbye to the cat that strolled off. She looked back at Jungwon, who also sauntered off as well. "But–"

"What?" Jungwon shot, turning his head.

"I ran out of water...can I have your extra bottle?" Suyin asked, receiving silence. "Please?"

Jungwon faced forward once more. By a silent exhale, he reached into his bag and tossed his bottle to the girl. "Take it."

≿━━━━༺◎༻━━━━≾

The duo traveled through the forest for a while. Suyin had the sun breathing on her skin, and her knees were weakening with every step. Scrutinizing the boy ahead of her, she hated how Jungwon looked as if he had just begun. Not a single drop of sweat was on him, not a single drop of exhaustion touched him. But Suyin's eyes lit up at the sight of something–a stone bridge to their right.

"Are we close?" Suyin asked, hurrying up to the boy's side.

"We've made it," Jungwon responded, tossing the stone map into his bag.

Gaining proximity to the stone bridge, Suyin feasted her eyes upon the cave's entrance. A faint green hue glowed within–a sign of jade.

Jungwon studied the entrance as well. "All we need to do is go inside and find the healing pool. After that, we'll be done, and I won't have to deal with you anymore."

The two arrived at the end of the stone bridge, sauntering their way over to the cave until a rumble crackled under their feet. Suyin and Jungwon shot their stares at each other, bewildered by the sudden movement. An icy blue smoke charged at the ground before them as if it were lightning from the heavens. Jungwon and Suyin gasped, and they jumped back. The mystical smoke swirled in the wind like a tornado, and a glowing figure of a white tiger burst into reality.

"What is that!?" Suyin shouted, taking another step back as she stared at the humongous tiger. Jungwon stepped backward as well, forming an obsidian shield.

The tiger opened its eyes, unveiling a gleaming mint blue. "I am a spirit Baihu, protector of the Jade caves. If you wish to access the Jade's healing water, you must pass me," the Baihu snarled.

"Shit," Jungwon cursed, and he instantly grasped Suyin's arm, steering her away before the tiger pounced on them.

Jungwon left her side in a blink of an eye, summoning sunstone crystals upon his call. He swirled, shooting his palms at the Baihu. Before the Baihu swung its gigantic claw at Jungwon, Jungwon raised his forearm and formed another obsidian shield.

Suyin stood clueless in the open, watching. Her hands were itching to lead the shadows, but she shoved her powers away without even realizing it.

The Baihu snapped its head towards the girl, and it bolted straight for her. A strong roar shattered the calm air. Suyin's hand twitched, levitating up, but she wasn't quick enough. However, before the spirit's claw struck her body, Jungwon sent a punch of sunstone to its side. The spirit fumbled over but it wasn't going to stay fallen for long.

Jungwon sprinted towards the girl with knitted brows. "What are you doing!?" Jungwon shouted, "why aren't you defending yourself!?"

"I– I can't, I'm not–" Suyin stammered. A coward–that's what she was. Suyin couldn't trust her own powers. She couldn't even face her own battle. The only people she had ever been comfortable enough to show her powers to were Miyoung and Master Wonchul.

As Jungwon's eyes begged for her answer, the Baihu climbed onto its paws. Jungwon whipped his head towards the tiger, and he chucked Suyin out of his thoughts. Jungwon prepared sunstones, but the Baihu charged at Suyin, and it clawed her. Suyin flew onto her back, and she howled at the sharp pain. She palmed her stomach, realizing warm liquid escaped through her fingers.

The Baihu gained another step until Jungwon finally extended both arms. Crystals pounded the dirted grounds, boosting him into the air. Momentarily pausing in the air, Jungwon aimed his fist up, and he twirled towards the floor. He plummeted down onto the Baihu, and an explosion screamed through the forest.

Blue smoke blurred Suyin's weak vision for a moment. The dust eventually faded into nothing, revealing Jungwon's crouched figure at the center. Jungwon weaved his fingers through his hair, huffing out heavy breaths. He instantly flicked his head up to the girl. Their eyes connected even through the thick smoke.

The sound of falling dust consumed their silence. Suyin, however, felt the moment slipping from her body. Jungwon blinked his eyes, and he rushed over. Before he reached her fallen figure, Suyin fell unconscious.