chapter 23

Chapter 23 : Roaring Black Sands≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

The next morning, the Eight Warriors readied themselves for yet another day further into their mission. In advance, each of them was provided with tailored uniforms for their travel beyond the Obex. Suyin finally unfolded her official uniform–a black outfit accessorized by leather and silver pieces. The fabric hugged her waist and flowed down her back, reaching over the back of her knees. Her attire included several belts at the waist, giving her the benefit of storing items at the side.

As soon as Suyin exited her room, Berther greeted everyone and led them through the castle to meet Kenric Rolfe. Not even the wall's torches could melt the icy atmosphere. The crisp, frigid air gnawed at their skins. They eventually reached a pair of wooden doors leading to a room of couches and a fireplace that crackled in the darkness. A silhouette of a tall muscled figure stood in the room like a statue, staring off into the blazing blue flames.

"Eight Warriors, Meet Kenric Rolfe–a metal bender and chief of our soldiers guarding the Obex," Berther introduced, gesturing his hand forward.

The massive man slowly turned, his black irises gliding through the eight. "Greetings." His soft yet heavy voice rolled along the stone walls. Gray streaks tarnished his raven hair, exposing his years of life. His presence felt familiar yet distant, like the fireplace that brought a friendly comfort to the room.

"The journey from here on out won't be easy," Kenric began. "Although past the Obex are only ruins of the Dyskro battle, the nature of these lands has been rapid. Their winds tumble like crashing tides, and the storming is more deafening than a lion's desperate cry. We haven't visited the mountains in ages...We don't allow anyone over the barrier for everyone's safety. However, the queen strongly believes in you, Eight Warriors—our kingdom's greatest honor."

The eight nodded their heads. "How are we going to travel, sir?" Jay asked.

Kenric's low hum sent chills down everyone's spines. He settled his fingers on his short gray beard, slitting his eyes. "On foot is your best option. Inviting animals as transportation could endanger their lives." Kenric pulled out a stone from his pocket and activated it with a slight clench. The stone glowed and displayed a projection of a map. "Once you pass the Obex, you will begin to enter the danger zone. Violent winds will pick up as you move further in. After traveling through the Black Desert, you will arrive at the dark waters. We will provide you a folded sailboat–it is as small as your hand. When water touches this folded boat, it magically unfolds into a sailboat. Pass the waters, and you will finally set foot on the Forbidden Mountains." Kenric clenched the stone, retrieving the projecting map. "Be quiet once at the Forbidden Mountains."

Berther nodded his head, and he turned for the team. "We wish you the best of luck," Berther said.

≿━━━━༺◎༻━━━━≾