chapter 13

Chapter 13 : Daunting Shadows≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

She stared at her hands.

A sigh flew from her lips, stolen by the late night air. She studied the back of her hand and how her blue veins ran down her milky skin. Flipping it over, her eyes streamed down the cracks in her palms–lines that separated into numerous paths.

Suyin lifted her hand as if high-fiving the stars. She twirled her hand, luring shadows into her fingers. When solitary in the main outdoor training area, she felt most free to use her powers. No one judged her existence. No one could see her except the shadows. She could almost hear their tranquil whispers.

"Meow"

Suyin flinched. The shadows vanished in a blink of an eye. Suyin whipped her head to the ground, viewing an all too familiar black cat fairy. "You again?"

The cat blinked before it sat down, licking its paw.

Suyin rested her hands on her hips. "And where did you come from? You disappeared the other day." The cat remained quiet with its eyes shut, continuing to clean its paw. Suyin crouched down, and she extended her hand to pet its little head. Its ears automatically folded at her touch, wings freezing for a moment, and it revealed its marble eyes.

Before Suyin could speak more, she caught a streak of light in the corner of her eye. Suyin looked up to the sky, following the hint of dimming light. Her brow furrowed. What is that– where is it coming from?

Suyin bent back to her height, observing the last bit of glow before it faded into darkness. She strolled out of the enclosed training area. After observing the peace of the outdoors, she resumed following the direction of the light. The cat fairy shadowed her.

Suyin walked down the dirt path for a while until arriving at the third training area. The training floor floated above a pond, scattered by numerous lily pads across the clear surface. The pond reflected the stars as well as the sudden burst of golden light.

Suyin took careful steps closer, hiding behind a lantern stand. She laid her eyes on Yang Jungwon, who secretly trained on the floors by himself. His movements were swift and precise. Sunstone blasted from his bare palms, illuminating the night shadows. Ambition stirred in his eyes, beaming as he executed his throws.

"No wonder why I hadn't bumped into him... he's been doing his extra training here instead," She whispered to herself.

She scrutinized his motions, sinking into the intriguing view. He carried power through his actions, yet his shoulders sagged at moments, revealing his tiredness. His sweat soaked his bangs, and it slithered down his neck. Once he thrust his fist, he blew out a heavy breath. He stumbled backward against a pole. The back of his hand swiped against his forehead. He plopped to the ground, and he leaned his head back.