chapter 25

Chapter 25 : Sailing Through a Nightmare≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

Suyin peered at the gray water beneath their sailboat. It was a never-ending pool of agony. Rain poured from the sky, and blackness thrashed against the boat's wooden surface. The sailboat wasn't the biggest to conquer the sea, but it had enough room for seven members to maneuver.

Thunder growled deeply in the sky. It echoed in everyone's ears–a constant reminder of what lands they were about to infiltrate. Jay controlled the boat's wheel while Sunghoon and Niki focused on the sail system. Heeseung navigated with their map, helping Jay guide the steering wheel. Everyone else watched the sailing process. Suyin glanced at Jungwon, whose stance appeared like a captain's as he analyzed every action.

Jungwon surveyed the whole ship, stating a few things to the driver and navigator now and then. While their team had never confirmed who their leader was, their most skilled, calm-collected, and intelligent member held the leading role through a silent agreement.

Suyin shifted her attention away from Jungwon. The continuous rain drummed against her head, urging a painful throb into her head. Once they started sailing across the waters, Suyin had to bear another unbidden headache that repeatedly arrived and vanished. She heaved a heavy sigh and settled her eyes on the sky–it only burned darker in the direction they headed in. Suyin rubbed her arms and wandered to the railings again, observing the daunting waves below. She attempted to distract herself from her headache for a moment, sinking into the view, but she gasped as a gust of wind shoved her forward.

"Oh no–" Suyin tilted over the railings, and her eyes screamed. The water clutched her heart from the heightened view. She screwed her eyes shut until a hand grasped the back of her collar.

"That's why you don't go too close to the railings, silly," a boy's voice entered her ears.

The boy yanked Suyin away from the railings. Her back pounded against a firm chest, and she heaved a sigh of relief. She thought it was Jungwon, but she spun around, catching sight of Jake's damp blond hair clinging to his forehead. "Jack," Suyin blurted.

"Um...you mean Jake?" Jake chuckled, raising his brow.

Suyin mentally facepalmed, and her embarrassment splattered onto her face within seconds. "I meant Jake! I'm sorry," she sighed and laid her hand on her forehead, closing her eyes.

Jake shook his head, and his eyes flattened as the rain poked his sight. "Um...It's alright." His lips stretched into a thin smile. Noticing Suyin's uncomfortable expression, he dropped his smile. "You don't seem so relaxed."

Suyin didn't respond. She only grasped his arm as a burst of wind attacked them. Without realizing it, she shifted closer to Jake, head ducked. Jake instinctively held her by the arms. "The winds are icy knives here," Jake remarked.