chapter 06

Chapter 06 : A Weakling≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

Suyin had never experienced the thrill of flight. Wary in the beginning, she couldn't unclench the dragon rider's back. But when the winds caressed her cheeks, when the clouds blessed the tips of her fingers, she fell in love. The Sun oozed onto her skin like honey, and she could taste it. As the dragon flapped its wings in the air, a slight boost was exerted. An unstoppable smile lingered on her lips even when the dragon landed on a floating island. The dragon and rider left her shortly after dropping her off.

Suyin observed the Warrior's Island for the first time. Her breath was completely stolen by the green mountains standing afar, and the delicate cherry blossom trees that invited color. Not only was she in one of the most beautiful places she had ever seen, but a glorious imperial palace stood in front of her. She was no longer in the same world. She was in a dream.

Suyin followed the path leading to the magnificent Aureum Palace, passing through a golden gateway. Her feet eventually met the front steps of the palace, and she ascended to a massive pair of white doors. Tilting her head, she hesitantly knocked on the doors. Gold bled the doors' blank white surface, and they opened on their own. Suyin yanked her hand back, flickering her eyes around.

A glistering pond lived at the heart of the open area, enclosed by stone railings. On the other side of the pond was an intricately designed white building, accented by golden parts. Suyin sauntered around the pond to reach the other side. Distracted by the fish swimming in the purest water she had ever seen, Suyin didn't realize the voices emerging.

"There you are," a familiar old voice said.

Suyin flinched, startled by his soft voice. She stared at Wonchul, clueless about where her words had gone.

"Well?" Master Wonchul continued, "the boys are waiting inside, come along, child."

Wonchul led the girl through the entrance, revealing the other seven warriors chatting amongst themselves. However, their voices disappeared in the girl's presence. Their eyes shot right through Suyin.

"We're finally together, good," Wonchul commented, and he cleared his throat, "welcome to the Aureum Palace–or also known as the Huangjin Palace. The original Eight Warriors trained in this very place together, and so have the last generations. This palace has three training areas for you all. There is one inside this building filled with equipment if you go straight. If you keep going straight and out the doors, you will end up in the open outdoor training area, which has multiple entrances. Somewhere further outside you will discover another training floor with a pond."

Curiosity lingered in the air as Wonchul spun around. The mentor walked ahead leisurely. "Explore later if you must, but we shall get started on endurance drills right away. Now, change into your training robes."

≿━━━━༺◎༻━━━━≾

Hell.

It was Hell.

Wonchul ordered the Eight Warriors to race around the palace's backyard after an individual stretching session. Sure the scent of fresh bamboo and cherry blossoms bloomed inside Suyin's lungs, but the speed of sprinting nearly murdered her pride...well, it did. The other seven boys finished the brisk race with no sweat while Suyin endured the pain.

Feeble, slow, low stamina–Suyin already begged to stop within ⅓ of running the path. They had to run three laps, yet Suyin had run out of energy so quickly. Her cheeks flushed with embarrassment when she finally made it to the end. The boys watched her stumble to her knees, coughing as if a disease had poisoned her lungs.

Expecting the worst from Wonchul, her head remained in a ducked position.

"Good," was all he said, and he simply moved on. Confused and ashamed of her weakness, Suyin sat on her knees for a moment before catching up with the team. None of the members assisted her, or even paid attention to her, not that she expected any from them anyways.

Wonchul led the team back to the main outdoor training area. Concrete filled the grounds, enclosed by the palace's walls. Wonchul took a hard look at the team. He nodded to himself. "We shall do some sparring drills without power usage," Wonchul said, "you–Cryo and Pyro, partner up."

The bright red-haired boy traveled over to his partner, ticking his head in a direction. "Come on," Jay said. The silver-haired Cryo followed along silently.

"Mmm...nature boy and Electro, team up," Wonchul ordered, pointing at their spot to work. Sunoo and Niki did as told.

"Aero and Hydro," Wonchul commanded Jake and Heeseung with a flick of his finger.

Suyin gulped the lump in her throat, noticing that she and Jungwon were left. Out of all of the members, it had to be the gifted crystal manipulator? Her stomach churned as Wonchul partnered them together.

"You and the crystal boy. He's very skilled–-surely he can assist you," Wonchul said.

Suyin pivoted on her heels, facing Jungwon. She bit the inside of her cheek, sickened by the sudden whirlwind inside her stomach. Without a word, Jungwon took his first stance, waiting for Suyin to prepare herself. Suyin cluelessly took her stance as well, mirroring the boy.

Jungwon took a step forward, swinging his leg at her. She shrieked, fortunately dodging his hit. However, he threw a punch at her shoulder, and another. Suyin guarded herself with her hands as Jungwon sent another kick to her abdomen. Her back flew to the ground, and her skin screeched in agony.

Suyin sat up, rubbing her back with aggressive circles. Surely that was to leave a bruise. Jungwon seized her eyes for a moment, but he looked away as if silently telling her to get on her feet.

Suyin rose once more, exhaling, mentally encouraging herself like never before. They took their stances again. Jungwon made the first move, flipping over his head and kicking her right in the chest. Suyin stumbled, but she blocked his next strikes with her forearms. However, Jungwon captured her shoulders. He hurled her body to the ground.

Suyin elicited a low grunt, panting while lifting herself, hands pressing against the rough concrete floor. She hopped back to her feet once more, but her motivation was slipping from the grip of her pride.

Jungwon knocked her shoulders, her stomach, and he sent kicks until she fell for the last time. The streaks of her hair slipped free of its bun and onto her pained expression. Her nails dug into her palms, creating crescent moons that could have been considered permanent from how hard she held them. Bruises were bound to bloom in hues of blue and purple all over her skin by tomorrow.

"I held myself back," Jungwon shot, abandoning her front.

Heat stirred up inside her, rummaging through her veins. However, she couldn't do anything. She didn't have the right to do anything because...she was a weak female Shadow Wielder, after all. Without the title of a "Warrior," she wouldn't be considered more than anything but someone who should have been executed from the start.