chapter 31

Chapter 31 : Cloak's Return
≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

Suyin stood alone on the outdoor training floor. She had been practicing for the queen's birthday, swaying a bundle of shadows around.

Although the shadows danced across her hands, Suyin's thoughts were locked someplace else. In the lonely moments of quiet, she couldn't scare off the haunting memories of the Forbidden Mountains. Nothing has sat right ever since they encountered the Cult of Umbra. When Suyin revealed her dark powers, she may have acknowledged self-worth, but she noticed a strange stun within the cult's quietness. She replayed the cult's words: "Our prayers...have been answered."

What did they mean? What did they want?

As Suyin dropped her arms, the shadows lost her touch. Suyin sat on the short stone stairs and leaned against a white pole. The mountains, the cult, the upcoming celebration...there was so much to think about.

She scrambled through countless useless ideas for the celebration. Submerging herself in a bucket of anxiety, something else caught her eye. Suyin glanced down at her amulet. The violet stone winked in the sunlight as if speaking in a silent language.

Suyin hummed to herself, remembering the thrill tickling up her arms when she used her cloak previously. Its advice and enhancing power inspired her like nothing else could. However, sitting in the back of her mind, Suyin reminded herself that Master Wonchul ordered their team to only use their weapons during actual combat.

While wonder whirled inside her heart, Suyin rebelled. She tapped on her amulet, welcoming her glossy black cloak into the air. The cloak floated at her front, in motion as if breathing. Suyin blinked at the cloak and poured her gaze down its magnificent black material. It stole the sunlight's glare, reflecting it off its edges.

"You don't have an urgent reason to have me here, do you?" The cloak assumed with a deadpan tone.

Suyin drew back. She had almost forgotten it could speak. "Uhh– no, I don't," Suyin mumbled while rubbing her arm. "I'm sorry–"

"Well, I guess that is something not unexpected from you, young Huang."

Suyin released a short chuckle and patted her knees. She apologized again for bringing the cloak out.

"Apologize for what? Surely you summoned me for a reason," The cloak acknowledged the unease behind Suyin's distant smile.

Suyin combed her fingers through her hair, shaking her head until the cloak somehow nodded, urging her thoughts to break free. "Well, I am having some trouble...and I need help for my demonstration at the queen's upcoming birthday celebration," Suyin turned her eyes back to the cloak. "Can you...help me?"

"Well, for you, of course." The cloak urged a flinch out of Suyin as it hauled her from her seat. "So," the cloak began avidly, flying to her front. "What do you wish to show everyone for your part of the performance?"

"Something unexpected?"

"Mhm," The cloak hummed to itself. "When people think of Shadow Wielders, what comes to mind?"

Suyin straightened her lips. "Fear...evil."

"But is that true?"

"Um, y—"

The edge of the cloak slapped her arm. "Wrong," it interjected. "What is the opposite of fear and evil?"

"...Charisma and purity?"

"Right. Don't you think the audience would find beauty and charm as an unexpected quality in your performance?"

"Yes, but...how when Shadow Wielders are the epitome of misfortune?"