chapter 16

Chapter 16 : Train With Me≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

"Next week will be your first official mission as the Eight Warriors. Now is the time to truly prepare yourselves before taking responsibility as warriors for the people of Lucinda," Wonchul announced to the lined team after finishing their drills. "As of today, you will continue training until the time arrives. Although we started incorporating your magical abilities into our group training a few days ago, I think it will be for the best if Suyin continues privately training her powers with me until she is confident."

All eyes splattered onto Suyin. She rubbed her arm, clearing her throat. "I think I'm going to need a little more time until I'm comfortable as well. Hurting anyone by accident is the last thing I want," Suyin agreed.

"Great. We shall get started on some lessons. Get into positions." Wonchul spun around, flicking his white paper fan open.

≿━━━━༺◎༻━━━━≾

"Be gentle...as if your hand is dipping in water," Wonchul guided the girl.

Suyin's hands were lifted in the air. Concentration steered her heart and soul. Her eyes were closed shut, submerged in the thought of a still pool of water. She swayed her arms, leading them to her front.

"Open your eyes," Wonchul directed. Suyin viewed the stream of shadows flowing across the indoor training room like a thick snake. It waved in the air calmly, soothed by her soft movements.

"See, these side lessons may be small, but they are valuable to your learning," Wonchul noted as he sauntered next to her ribbon of shadow. "They're to remind you that you're creating a bond with the shadows. You're having a conversation before you begin having a dance with them."

"I'm ready to have a dance."

"Alright, drop your arms," Wonchul commanded. "Let's begin with some basic throws at the target again."

Wonchul slit his eyes while analyzing the girl's arms. She flung her arms towards the target, splashing the board with vanishing black paint. The shadows withered away as they smacked the target, only to be replaced by another throw. After a few rounds, Wonchul nodded. "Drop your arms," he said. Suyin did as told, ceasing the shadows and placing them into rest. Wonchul's fan closed with a flick. "We're going to stop here for the day."

Suyin tilted her head. "Already?"

"Don't you see, child?" Wonchul asked, earning a confused stare. "You're more confident with the shadows than you were before, but you're missing one thing. You're still in your comfort zone–I'm the only one you've trained your powers in front of."

"I need more time to prepare myself." Suyin's eyes fell to the floor. "Training with everyone else is dangerous right now, Master Wonchul."

"Waiting won't change anything," Wonchul pointed out, and he hummed as he strolled around the training floor. "There has to be at least one. Someone else that you're willing to share your powers with other than me."