chapter 24

Chapter 24 : A Floral Voice≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

The sharp winds whipped their faces. Black sand poked at their sensitive eyes, surging through their hair. The team focused on one priority—to escape the sandstorm.

Suyin hugged herself as Heeseung's accelerating winds sped them through the raging winds. Her eyes had been closed almost the entire ride, shielding her vision from the pricking air. Their sled managed to escape the sand storm. Although the storm lost them, the lands' winds continued conversing.

Heeseung eventually slumped his shoulders, feeling his energy slip from his hands. The ice sled decelerated until approaching a complete stop.

"I can't go any further," Heeseung huffed, shaking his lowered head.

"Hey. It's okay, Heeseung," Jake reassured while patting the elder's back. "The goal was to get out of the storm, and that's what you did. You deserve thanks, buddy." Heeseung nodded his head as Jake laid his reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"So now what? Are we going to continue onward?" Sunoo asked.

Jungwon shifted in his seat, observing Heeseung's slouching figure. "Heeseung, are you able to keep traveling? If you aren't, we can figure something out," Jungwon said.

Heeseung waved his hand, dismissing the boy's concern. "My energy is low at the moment, no worries," Heeseung replied.

After everyone stepped out of the ice sled, Jay swayed his hand in the air and melted it down. "Alright, let's get moving," Jay said, dusting his hands together.

The winds twisted their hair, sewing black pebbles into their strands. Suyin managed to stay within the group's distance. However, since the black sand attempted to devour Suyin, she's had a slight headache. As if the ghostly sand lingered inside her ears, seeping into her brain, she couldn't fight them out.

Nonetheless, Suyin felt the urge to speak. She brushed aside her headache in the meantime. "I'm sorry," Suyin apologized to the team, clenching her arms. "For hindering our mission. I held us back."

At first, none of them was bold enough to reply. The group's silence ate up Suyin's guilt, tasting the unsettlement in her stomach. She tilted her head down, staring at her feet. Suyin remained low until she felt a tap on the back of her head and flinched.

"Hey, don't talk like that," Jungwon stated, striding up to Suyin's side. He frowned at her crestfallen expression. "It wasn't your fault."

Suyin eased her shoulders and shared a glance with Jungwon.

"It most likely happened because we disturbed the land. It's been decades since people have stepped foot upon it," Sunoo commented, shrugging.

"Or maybe it's because she's a Shadow Wielder," Jay said bluntly, his eyes ahead of them.