chapter 21

Chapter 21 : Her Natural Glow≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

The glow of the sakura trees dimmed overnight until their luminescence completely vanished. The golden sun dived into the vast blue sky, waking the people of Myoui, including the Eight Warriors.

Jungwon's eyes peeked through his eyelids, inviting the soft sun glow from the shoji screens. His hand rubbed his face for a moment as if collecting his thoughts from the previous night. He recalled the unknown beast's attack at the village, the argument splashing over the team afterward, and the tears soaking up Suyin's porcelain skin late at night. Jungwon heaved a long sigh, yanking himself up from the futon. He sat on his bed with heavy eyes set on his covers.

"Jungwon...Are you awake?" An all too familiar delicate voice flowed through Jungwon's ears. He flickered his eyes onto the bedroom's entrance, spotting Suyin's shadowed frame on the other side.

"Whatever it is, I don't care," he deadpanned groggily, splattering his fingers on his lowered face.

"But– I just– I need help," Suyin stammered.

Jungwon groaned. "I don't–"

The shoji screens flew open, with Suyin inviting herself into the room. Jungwon shrieked, and his hands flew up to his head. "Yah! You can't just intrude like this!" Jungwon growled, brushing his hands through his unpresentable disheveled hair. Another groan rumbled in his throat as he tossed his covers over his head. "Get out."

His fingers weaved through his hair. He didn't perceive any of Suyin's annoying words, but he knew her voice was approaching him.

"Jungwon," Suyin whined, plopping beside his sitting figure under the covers. She lifted his covers off of his head. "Who cares about your hair! I need you to–"

Jungwon clicked his tongue and snapped his head up to the girl. "To what?" He retorted. However, his eyes blinked into an eased state as he surveyed her terribly swollen eyes.

A frown drooped over Suyin's face. She rubbed her arm. "If you laugh–"

Jungwon laughed. He raised his index finger and pointed right at her face. "I told you your eyes would puff up the next morning!" he guffawed.

Suyin's lower lip jutted out. She slapped his finger out of her sight and averted her eyes. "Yah! It's not funny!"

"Yeah, it is– You look like someone slapped you across the face," Jungwon continued. Suyin rolled her eyes.

"Whatever," she muttered, folding her arms into each other. "I was wondering if you could...maybe soothe my eyes? I don't know if you can do that, but I figured since you have the power to heal–"

Jungwon sighed and laid his hand on her shoulder, drawing her close. As Suyin instinctively shut her eyes, he waved his fingers over her upper face. He glazed white quartz onto her swollen eyelids, cooling her skin like mint. After finishing, his fingers dropped, and he secretly led his eyes around her face. He noticed her cheeks glowed in the white sunlight and her morning flushed lips poutier.