chapter 26

Chapter 26 : The Forbidden Mountains≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

Cheeks flushed, heart heavy, and red-eared. Jungwon's chest was suffocated by an unusual type of air. His hand patted his warm cheek as he exited the lower cabin, mind stained by Suyin's face. Incredulous thoughts darted through his mind, pushing him further into questions he hadn't considered in so long.

In his mind, he read over Suyin's expression again. He pinned a mess inside her eyes when his face hung over her. It wasn't only confusion–something else seemed to panic within her. Nevertheless, her face's skin looked so smooth to the touch, her wide-eyed stare soaked up all the light in the room, and her lips were enriched by a berry hue.

"Jungwon!" A voice called for Jungwon as he rose from the lower staircase. Jungwon's name didn't register as he ruffled his hair–his distracted mind was vibrant on display.

"Yah, Jungwon-ah!" Sunghoon yelled again. Jungwon flicked his head up and caught Sunghoon's gaze. "Look at what's ahead!" Sunghoon pointed forward.

Jungwon's eyes drove toward Sunghoon's finger, feasting upon the Forbidden mountains ahead. Deep black burned into its surface as if a clan of fire had ripped the color from the mountain's soul. Jungwon noticed how the water's waves had eased, and the winds were speaking less.

"Is she okay?" Sunoo asked from the upper staircase.

Jungwon faced the boy. "Oh– Yes...she's awake," Jungwon replied, rubbing his nape.

"That's good," Sunoo said, hopping off the stairs. "Better go get your girl now."

Jungwon snapped his head back towards Sunoo. His hand lost contact with his neck. "What did you say?" Jungwon stammered.

"Isn't Suyin your bestie?" Sunoo asked, resting his hands on his hips. Sunoo tossed his arm out. "Go get her. We're almost to the mountains."

"Right." Jungwon spun around and descended back down the staircase. He re-entered the lower cabin, feet squeaking against the wooden planks. Suyin sat against the bed wall with her hand supporting her head. Her eyes sat bored on the ceiling until his footsteps approached.

"So, did you miss me?" Jungwon quipped.

"No, you jerk. You left when I needed you," Suyin muttered, sulking with her head turned away.

He crossed his arms, tilting his head to the side. "Need, you say?" His lip curled up.

Suyin hugged her knees, refusing to face Jungwon. Jungwon arrived at her front, and he guided her chin in his direction. "Upset?" He asked, analyzing her hidden smile.

"My entire head is burning, Won," Suyin groused, pouting her vibrant cherry lips.

"Aww, I'm sorry. I should've been gone longer," Jungwon snickered as Suyin glowered at him. He sat beside her on the bed. "Here, let me heal it before we go to the mountains." His fingertips fluttered over her forehead, treating her head with the glow of healing white quartz.