chapter 17

Chapter 17 : Unexpected≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

"The queen...she's sick. She's been poisoned."

Gasps punctured the peaceful air. Concern washed over the team like a storming sea.

"Queen Taeyeon is poisoned? By what? By who?" Jay inquired first.

"Is our kingdom in danger?" Sunoo worried.

"Those answers are out of reach, unfortunately. We don't know who these people are or what they are," Wonchul sighed deeply, fanning himself moderately. "However, there is one connection...You all know our kingdom's history well, no?"

They nodded their heads.

"If you've studied Lucindian history well, then you should know that a mysterious dark force was born in the Wolke Mountains–now known as the Forbidden Mountains–one thousand years ago. Recall the Dyskro–once known as Cha Hyunwoo–who consumed that darkness and transformed into a beast. The Dyskro challenged our kingdom, battling against our soldiers until Lucinda's Eight Warriors slayed him. The battle has left the mountains permanently heartless."

"But...what does the history of the Eight Warriors have to do with the queen being sick?" Jake asked.

"Well, child...the poison running through the queen's blood is familiar. Our experts have noted that it is possibly related to the ancient darkness that once engulfed the Forbidden Mountains," Wonchul explained, and he glanced at everyone. "Whatever it is...you all will need to search for the cause of this."

"Huh!?" A few let out.

"Don't, huh, me."

"But we aren't ready for a major mission like that yet," Jake said.

"Are you forgetting that you are the newest generation of Lucinda's Eight Warriors?" Wonchul snapped his fan closed. "Has my guidance taught you nothing? All that training was to prepare you, not shrink your confidence."

"But we haven't even gone on our first mission yet!" Niki blurted.

"This will be considered your first official mission then," Wonchul answered.

"But we aren't ready! We haven't even learned how to use our weapons!"

"No more but's, child! As a warrior, unexpected events will pop up even from the lit corners of a room. Near or far future, it is vital to be ready at all times." Wonchul furrowed his stern brow, and his chin lifted. "There is a reason why I haven't allowed you to use your weapons yet. They are only to be used during combat. Once you draw your weapons, it will piece together like a natural instinct."

Wonchul's powerful voice struck everyone to their cores. The old man inhaled slowly, but his brows remained narrowed. "Your weapon will answer your call," he assured. "I'm sure Jungwon can confirm."