chapter 05

Chapter 05 : Fear
≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

"I feel like everyone was about to panic until they realized you were chosen by one of the swords. Of course, I was screaming on the inside like, MY BEST FRIEND IS A WARRIOR!! I know everyone was terrified because Shadow Wielders are everyone's fear of history repeating itself, but I know you, and you wouldn't let that happen. But then you fainted, and I was like, 'oh my god, Suyin!' and everyone else was like, 'what is happening??' and my mom was like, 'Miyoung, get away!' and Chenle was sobbing because he thought you were dead, and now Chenle is here because he found his mother, but he's our friend now, so he'll be visiting our home every now and then–"

"Miyoung, no offense, but you're making my head hurt from all this rambling," Suyin groused, holding up her head. She stared at the kitchen table, blank.

"Oops– I'm only filling you in," Miyoung said, patting her friend's back.

Suyin's sleeve was tugged at, and she looked down, viewing little Chenle at her side. Her lips curled up, and she ruffled the boy's hair.

"You knew she was a Shadow Wielder this entire time?" Miyoung's mother gritted her teeth, "for years, you've kept quiet about this??"

"Uhh...maybe," Miyoung mumbled, fiddling with her gown. She led her eyes back to her mom, and she lifted her hands in defense. "AH— Don't hit me!"

Miyoung's mother rolled her eyes clear on display. "So that's why Suyin was 'powerless.' Goodness, Miyoung." Her mother shook her head, but she flickered sorrowful eyes to Suyin. "I'm assuming...it has something to do with you being parentless as well?"

Suyin pursed her lips, and she nodded. "I'm so sorry...that I've kept this away from you this entire time. I could have put you all in danger with the fact that I'm a...Shadow Wielder."

Miyoung's mother pondered in silence, sinking into the blue moment. She laid her hand on Suyin's lap, and she offered a warming smile to the girl. "No–I'm glad Miyoung introduced you to me, and that I took you in all those years ago. If I hadn't, the guards could have taken your life. You're like a daughter to me nonetheless, and I couldn't be prouder of you being a warrior–not only a warrior but the first female warrior as well. You're going to set changes," she encouraged.

Suyin squirmed, scrunching her lips to the side. "Thank you, but what if...I don't want to be a warrior? I'm not fit for one, and I've never trained for combat in my life. I'm a peasant, a Shadow Wielder, a female–a physically weak person overall. I don't understand why I was chosen. I'm...honestly scared. Everyone fears Shadow wielders–I'm a threat like Timothy said."

"Who's Timothy?" Miyoung asked.

"Timothy," Suyin deadpanned.

"Darling, you were chosen for a reason. It must mean that you have some great power in you," Miyoung's mother continued.

"I'm nothing like the other fighters though. Have you seen what they're capable of?" Suyin said, watching flashes of memories walk through her head.

"You don't know what you're capable of–you haven't tried. And did you see what you created earlier today?" Miyoung's mother arched her brow. "You saved us and everyone in the Sky Arena. That is why you were chosen—the sword recognized heroism in you."

"Yeah!" Chenle chirped along, "you can be just as powerful as Sungwon and Junghoon, if not, more powerful."

"Isn't it Sunghoon and Jungwon...?" Suyin corrected.

"That's what I said–"

"Okay, Miyoung and Chenle. Suyin needs to take some rest... It has been a long day for her. And she has a big day ahead of her tomorrow," Miyoung's mother said, "and Chenle, I'm sure your mother is expecting you home by now."

"It's okay! My house is only five houses down the street," Chenle noted.

"Well, you're lucky your house happens to be close to ours. But it is time to go home, come on now." Miyoung's mother waved her hand as she stood from her wooden seat.

Before Miyoung's mother left, she stroked Suyin's hair. By the touch of her motherly hand, Suyin relaxed. "Set the worries aside for tonight, Suyin," she whispered.

≿━━━━༺◎༻━━━━≾

Suyin clutched her drawstring pouch, waiting at the entrance of her village. She put on her cleanest gown and best shoes (her only pair, really). As Miyoung hyperventilated beside her, Suyin tried her best to lock in her nerves. Heavy breathing knocked on her ears, and she turned around, noticing a little boy sprinting for them.

"Suyin! I'm! Here! Now!" Chenle panted, extending his arm to the girl. "I'm not late!"

"Thank you for being here, Chenle," Suyin chuckled, ruffling his dark brunette hair.

"I woke up early just for you!" Chenle exclaimed, punching his fist into the air.

"Good job, just like promised!" Miyoung held up her thumbs to Chenle, who did the same in return.

After the four waited for Suyin's ride, gusts of wind crashed through the air like tides. Suyin peered up into the sky, and she stepped back. A white dragon descended, and it landed on its claws effortlessly.

"Huang Suyin of Trillium?" The dragon rider called.

"Here," Suyin said, raising her hand.

"Yes...the Shadow Wielder," he mumbled, glancing her up and down.

Suyin turned back and pulled Miyoung and her mother into a hug, inhaling the comforting scents she will always know. "Don't forget me while I'm gone," she breathed.

"Don't forget us while you're living in a floating palace," Miyoung teased.

Suyin laughed, taking her last view of the girl who changed her life and the woman who raised her when no one else could. Suyin crouched down in front of Chenle, and she ruffled his hair one more time. "I've only met you yesterday, yet I feel like I've known you forever."

"Well, you better not forget about me either," Chenle pouted, and he smiled as Suyin embraced his tiny figure.

As Suyin awkwardly came forth, the dragon rider leaned down. "Try anything, and the dragon will attack," he whispered.

Suyin tilted her head, and she took a step back, analyzing the dragon's head. Her bottom lip jutted out. "You wouldn't hurt me, would you?" she asked.

The dragon's eyes narrowed, and it puffed air out of its nostrils, grumbling lowly. Suyin's hands tightened into fists for a moment–summoning a shadow aura around her body. Within those seconds, the dragon lowered its head, eliciting a small whimper.

"That's what I thought," Suyin said, and she hovered closer to its face, "but don't worry, I wouldn't hurt you either."