chapter 29

Chapter 29 : The Royal Council≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

Suyin's eyes traced her palms as the warriors traveled back to the Obex. Her mind couldn't brush off the remaining tingle of her adrenaline rush back at the Umbrage Tower. Walking in an epiphany lane, Suyin finally noticed the power within her control of shadows. She saved her teammates—she finally made a move. Along her journey, piece by piece, her self-doubt had been lifting. A whole chunk had been erased after encountering the cult.

After the Forbidden Mountains' solemn breaths and the Black Desert's treacherous cries, they finally arrived back at the Obex, the barrier they were glad to finally see again. The team was instantly ambushed by cheering soldiers. Their applause and aggressive shouts praised them, chorusing over the dusty air. Curious questions and incredulous comments piled up more and more.

"Chief! They're back!" One of the knights announced.

"So, I see," A dark, raspy voice slipped under the applause. The shouts of admiration dissolved as Kenric Wolfe again greeted the Eight Warriors' faces. "After traveling for so long, you have completed your journey."

"It wasn't easy, but we've collected some information that could help us understand the threat against the queen," Heeseung said.

"Her majesty will be pleased to hear," Kenric responded.

"You're all back," A familiar fluttering voice praised. Suyin's eyes flew up, falling into the sight of Colin. His charming smile instantly warmed up the cold atmosphere. "It must've been a treacherous journey. And yet here you all are in one piece."

"The Black Desert was intense, but the Forbidden Mountains were the worst," Jake said, shaking his head.

"How so? What was it like?" Colin wondered, resting his chin on his fingers. A smile snuck onto Suyin's lips as she viewed the child-like gleam in his pale blue eyes.

"The lands were just like what the stories have always said," Jake went on. "The Black Desert is full of fury, and the Forbidden Mountains feel like a ghost stuck in its regrets."

"Did anything strange occur?" Colin asked.

"What did the mountains look like??" Another random knight asked the group.

While more soldiers shot their questions at the team, Colin caught Suyin's repeating glances. Suyin snuck in a faint gasp, and she averted her eyes. Her arms slept in a cross until Colin stepped towards her.

"I knew you'd arrive back safely," Colin said.

"I managed," Suyin replied.

"Anything dangerous come about?"

Suyin skimmed over her memories. She trudged through the black sands and felt the Forbidden Mountain's breaths. As she glanced at her hands, she remembered the cult...and her inner realization of her power's potential. "It...was a long journey," Suyin said.