chapter 36

Chapter 36 : The Cult's Message≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

The sound of echoing chains sharpened a cold spike against all ears. Suyin found it too memorable. She scanned their silver-lined black robes and veil. Ivan, Suyin thought. Unlike the last time they met, light assisted him. Suyin could view faint pieces of Ivan's features through his thick veil. He had ghostly white bangs and a sharp nose that occasionally poked out of his veil's shape. However, two other draped figures melted into the dim light as well. It seemed like Ivan had brought a couple followers.

"You dare invade my castle?" Queen Taeyeon warned, her authoritative tone resounded. "Identify yourselves at once."

Suyin glanced over her shoulder and viewed the queen's grim gray irises. The cult trio didn't speak and instead stood against the queen's order.

"Guards, arrest them," Taeyeon commanded.

The official security knights acted upon her majesty's call, marching at the cult trio. Nonetheless, one of the figures standing beside Ivan charged as well. They extended their arms toward the guards, smashing their palms in their chests. Screams clawed at the knight's throats as they kneeled on the hard floor, clutching their cores.

"It is such an honor to meet you, your majesty," Ivan said, bowing from the waist respectfully. "As a leader of the Cult of Umbra, I wanted to make an appearance on your birthday...in our own extraordinary way." Ivan summoned a large glass that reflected the queen's stern eyes. He crushed his hand into a fist, shattering the dark glass into sharp slivers.

The glass struck Jungwon's shield, jolting him. Suyin could see his shield falter, thinning away slowly. Jungwon clicked his tongue and waved it down, allowing it to wither away. Once Ivan conjured up more shards, Jungwon summoned a firmer obsidian shield. "Warriors, attack!" Jungwon commanded their team.

The Eight warriors moved at once. Jungwon forced his foot into his obsidian shield, separating it into several. He swung his arm and transferred them for the nobles' protection. "Guards, please take her majesty and exit somewhere safe while we handle this," Jungwon said. "Escort the rest of the nobles as well."

The queen descended from her throne and welcomed herself into her guards' cover. "Thank you, Warrior Yang. Protect the innocents."

"As always, your majesty." Jungwon bowed his head. He turned and held Suyin's hand for a moment, eyeing her down. "Think you can fight in a ball gown?"

Suyin glanced at the skirt of her black dress, pinching it off the ground. "I'll try." She nodded.

Suyin followed Jungwon's lead as he charged at the grouped cultists. Multiple elements slashed the scene, but Suyin caught a glimpse of white air coursing toward them. She gasped and yanked at Jungwon's cape before a frost wind could touch him, burying them underneath the shadow's secret. The cultist's element traveled solemnly, whirling faster until it spread as a prowling snowstorm. Suyin felt her bones freezing up, decreasing her speed. Her shadows slipped from her command, falling weaker and weaker.