chapter 28

Chapter 28 : Worshippers In The Dark
≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

Suyin gulped down the knot in her throat. Fear coated her face even if she stood buried at the center of her team. The draped and veiled man hadn't lowered his accusing finger. He didn't seem to be breathing, for his stance was as still as slow time.

"No one dares to enter the Forbidden Mountains," the man stated.

"No one is allowed to enter the Forbidden Mountains either. Who are you guys?" Jay inquired boldly.

The draped man shook his head slowly. "Don't you realize it's perilous to explore out here?... Your life hangs on a thread, especially visiting the worst territory you could find."

"We asked, who are you?" Jungwon ordered, narrowing his eyes into a striking slit.

"And may we ask who you are?" The man asked.

Jungwon faltered, leaving his mouth open without any answer. He glanced at Heeseung, who lightly shook his head. Identifying themselves was too risky.

A wry, low chuckle escaped another from the circle. Footsteps birthed into the echoes. The Warriors darted their eyes, pinning on a figure stepping forward. The male's short laughter dripped from the walls, oozing down the frigid air. He wore his robes differently from the rest. While everyone else wore plain robes, dark gray chains hung from his veil and shoulders, and a belt tightened around his waist.

"We are the Cult of Umbra, worshippers of the Lord of Shadows–the Almighty Dyskro," he said.

Suyin's eyes thickened at the cursed title. Her heart dunked into her stomach, creating a massive splash that sickened her.

A few other black figures gasped at the one who had arrived from another hallway. "Leader Ivan," they acknowledged, bowing their heads.

The warriors stiffened, pressured by the man's presence. Suyin watched as Jungwon crossed his arms and stepped forward. "And what is your purpose for gathering as a cult for the notorious Dyskro?" Jungwon inquired. "Are you not aware that these mountains are prohibited?"

As the figures offered silence as their reply, Jungwon exhaled a rough breath. "Answer me."

A cultist whispered into their leader's ear, earning a nod. The cult leader's slight head movement created hushed clinks from his unique chains.

"You stand here at an Umbrage Tower. This place is where we build a one-of-a-kind community," Ivan began, displaying his gloved hands. "Our great lord protects us from life's bloody shame and vile sufferings. The strength of the Almighty Dyskro will bring respect and acceptance to you and to the kingdom's future. The shadows stand as the true heroes in the dark...and we, the Cult of Umbra, can assure you with solace."

Suyin found his voice relatively younger than she had thought, twenty-five years of age at least.

"For years, our lord has been shamed...but please, understand that his guidance will lead you to a better life. We are willing to give you a special offer to join now that you have found us," Ivan welcomed.

"Are these guys delusional?" Sunghoon scoffed in a lowered voice.

"Outright delusional," Niki agreed.

"We'll be declining the offer. Sorry," Jungwon replied aloud.

Ivan hadn't budged for a moment, standing as if unsatisfied with Jungwon's response. "How inconsiderate. There will simply be only one result from that answer," Ivan said. He raised his arms, piercing numerous darkened glass shards into the air. "Your memory erased...along with your existence," Ivan stated darkly.