Chapter 72 The Convicted

I hate mankind,
for I think myself one of the best of them
And I know how bad I am.

 -Joseph Bareth

Emma

“Could you put the knife down?” I raps. My mind is panicking. How long has he known about the scar? What’s he going to do to me?

He’ll never believe me.

Blake isn’t’ moving. “Blake?” I squeak.

“Don’t,” he says in a warning tone, “don’t work your lies on me. You’re good. I have to give you that. You managed to convince Nate and he’s not easily fooled. I believed you.” His voice quivers. “You act her so well, to the smallest detail. And becoming friends with one of the aliens is just the kind of stupid thing she would do. But you’re not her.”

I bit my lip. No matter what I say, he’ll just think I’m lying to save my own skin. Is he going to kill me now? What will happen to Burns then?

“Just tell me,” Blake continued when I don’t say anything, “I promise I won’t hurt you. Just tell me the truth.” The despair in his eyes is confusing me and I’m not sure how to react to it. He notices my shock and he swallows. “Look,” he says, “I’ll put the knife down, alright? I won’t let you get up yet, but now you’ll know I won’t hurt you.” He places the weapon on the ground.

It’s completely pointless. He could easily strangle me, but I don’t comment on it.

“Don’t be scared,” he whispers, “I just want the truth.”

I feel like crying, because I can’t tell him the truth. It will put Burns in danger.

I shake my head.

“Just your name,” Blake coaxes, “I saw the scar. There is no use in denying. Please.”

“Don’t hurt Burns,” I whisper.

He blinks at me confused. “You worry about him at a time like this? You’re the one that’s pinned down.”

“Did you separate us on purpose?” I ask, “so you can kill him?”

Blake shakes his head. “I only just saw the scar when you reached for our bag.”

A relieved sigh escapes my lips, but I know it’s not over. “Promise me you won’t hurt him.”

“Will you tell me the truth then?” Bake asks carefully and I nod. He nods too. “Alright. You have my word.”

I take a deep breath. If I tell him, I’ll have to take a  risk. I’ll have to trust him. I’ve known him half my life, but do I trust him? “I was taken,” I begin and Blake stares at me.

“You mean Emma was taken.”

“No,” I whisper, “me. I was taken.” He starts to protest, but I shake my head. “You wanted the truth. So let me speak.”