Chapter 122 The Host Skipper

The hardest thing in life to learn
Is which bridge to cross
And which to burn

-David Russell

Burns

My hands are sweating and no amount of rubbing against my jeans can make it go away. This is it. There is no going back now.

I stare at the apartment where Ocean and Core live, knowing this will be the last time I will ever see them, and for a moment I need to remind myself why I'm doing this.

Emma.

I'm doing this for her.

And for Nate. And Blake and Finn, and all the other humans I have grown to love.

I need to protect them.

Ocean and Core will be fine. They have each other.

And Scales. My mind wanders to him. Last I heard, he had someone in his life too. Yes, they're going to be just fine.

I take a deep breath and ring the doorbell.

Arashi is waiting in the van, parked a few blocks down. I told him I could arrange for a motel room so he'd be more comfortable, but he declined. He wanted to be ready for anything, able to leave the moment trouble occurs. I can't blame him. I know exactly how he feels.

The door opens and I stare into Core's wide eyes. "Burns?" he questions.

"Hey," I breathe. Before I know it I'm pulled in a tight embrace.

"How?" Core asks, "did you escape? Where have you been? We were so afraid. What happened? Are you alright?" His voice sounds strained as if he's trying not to cry. It only makes me feel guiltier. I've hurt them. And I'm going to hurt them a lot more.

I'm going to miss them so much.

Core releases me from his embrace, but still holds my arms as if I might disappear. "Are you alright, Burns? Were you hurt? Where... where is Sky?" There is concern in his eyes and he studies my face.

"Can I come in?" I ask, "is Ocean home?"

"Yes, yes of course. Yes, she is. Come, sit. We'll talk. Are you hungry?"

I follow him inside. Ocean is propped up against some pillows on the couch. Her stomach is enormous. Is she already this close to giving birth?

Ocean's eyes grow wide when she sees me and she starts to cry. "Burns! I thought you were dead too. Where have you been?! What happened? Where's Sky? Rain and Storm are dead, Burns, humans set their house on fire. And Patt! He said you and Sky were kidnapped by humans and now he's missing too!"

She tries to get up, but I motion for her to stay on the couch while I go over to her. I hold her tightly as she cries in my shoulder. I gently stroke her back. "I'm okay," I whisper. I'm close to tears myself by now. I'm going to cause them so much pain. "I know," I continue quietly, "I've heard about Rain and Storm. I'm so sorry."

Ocean pulls back and wipes the tears from her eyes. "What happened, Burns? Patt said you were there. You and Sky and two strangers. Were they really humans? Did they force you to... to kill your own friends?"

This is it. Time to tell the biggest lie I ever have while staying as close to the truth as possible.

Behind me, Core has returned with drinks and snacks. He sits down next to Ocean and takes her hand in his carefully. He looks at me. "Tell us what happened, Burns."

I take a deep breath and run my hands through my hair. "We were on our way to meet Rain and Storm when we ran into Patt," I begin, "they had rounded up some humans, so I can see why he was worried we had been taken."