Chapter 74 The Trustworthy

Circumstances are beyond human control

but our conduct is in our power.

-Benjamin Disraeli

Burns

"It will take a while for them to accept you," Nate says while walking me back, "but they'll come around. You'll see."

I shake my head. "I understand why they hate me. I just wish they'd accept Emma."

Nate chuckles. "Don't worry. She'll be fine." He looks ahead and I follow his gaze. Blake is approaching us. He briefly narrows his eyes at me, but then turns to Nate. "I need to talk to you."

Nate eyes him for a moment and then nods. "Alright." He looks at me. "You'll manage from here, right? It's just around the turn."

I nod. "Sure."

...

I don't see Emma at first, so I'm a little startled to find her sitting with her back against the wall next to the entrance. She has her arms around her knees and she's staring into space.

"Emma?" I kneel down next to her and watch her carefully. I haven't seen her like that since we first met and it scares me. What happened?

She looks at me with tears in her eyes. "I'm sorry," she whispers, "he saw the scar."

"Who? What are you talking about?"

"Blake," she utters, "he was here. He saw the scar in my neck. He made me tell him." Her lip trembles. "He's gonna tell Nate. And then everyone will know. I'm sorry."

I pat her hair and lock my arms around her. "It's okay."

"No it's not," Emma sobs, "it was your secret and I told Blake. I put you in danger."

"It's fine, Emma," I repeat, "Nate already knows."

She pulls away and looks at me confused. "What?"

"I told him," I say, "that first night we met. You were asleep. He saw your scar. He asked. So I told him."

"Why didn't you say something?" Emma asks.

"I didn't think it was important," I say.

"He could have killed you!" Emma protests, "you didn't even know if we could trust him."

I cup her cheek. "I owed him the truth," I say softly.

She shakes her head. "You don't owe him anything."

"No?" I ask, "after what my kind did to your kind? After what almost happened to you?"

"That wasn't your fault."

"They have loved ones too."

"They'll think everyone can come back now," Emma says.

I shake my head. "I told Nate not everyone stays. I don't know why some do and others don't. Maybe those that knew we were here before they were taken are the ones to stay. Maybe some just have strong will. I don't know. There is no way of telling."

Emma sighs. "So now what?"

"It will be fine," I assure her. Truth to be told, I'm not sure what will happen. Nate chose not to tell the others. Blake might not share that opinion. "Wouldn't you want Ashley back?" I ask, "or your family?"

She bites her lip and looks down. "Of course," she said, "but... what if... what if David came back? I... I know it's horrible for me to say, but... I don't know him. I know you. I don't want you to go."

"If he came back..." I say carefully, "I couldn't' stay in this body. Just like I couldn't let Sky stay in yours. It's not right, Emma."

She shakes her head. There are tears in her eyes.

"It will be fine," I say again. No matter what's going to happen, Emma will be taken care for. Nate promised me and Blake seems protective over her.

But the thought of her with someone else makes my stomach turn.

I have no right to be jealous. Why would she want to be with me anyway? Blake's the charming one. I know enough of humans to know girls like his type. And they've known each other for a long time.

"I wish it was still just you and me," Emma whispers. She looks at me. "Instead of you and me, with a lot of other people. No matter where we go. Here, it's us against humans. At home it was us against the Souls."

"Maybe not," I say, "let's not worry before the actual threat. Let's just go to sleep. We'll figure this out in the morning."

She sighs and nods.

***

There isn't much room, so we have to lie close together. It doesn't seem to bother Emma, but I can tell she's not comfortable. I wonder if it's because of me or because of this place.

I can't sleep either.

Someone hung up a curtain to shield the sleeping space, but I'm still very aware of the others. Last night, Nate and Blake were here. It was different then.

I stare at the ceiling and think back on when I first met Emma. I wanted to study human behavior. Here, I have every opportunity. I have never see so many humans in one place.

Maybe that's what they mean by saying be careful what you wish for.

Still, maybe some good will come out of this.

I glance at Emma who seems to have settled down and is breathing evenly.

Some good already came out of this.

I've met Emma.

And no matter what happens to me next or where I'll go, nothing can ever match that.

--

Dedicated to WandererOShea. Please check out her Host-fanfic. Someone familiar will make a guest appearance ^_^ I did give permission, so it'all good :)