Chapter 112 The Heroes

Tragedy makes you grow up.

-Jane Campion

Emma

We reach the hide-out in the afternoon. All four of us look like we've been mauled by animals and then run over by a semi, though that doesn't stop Finn from looking around curiously. The circles underneath his widened eyes give him a raccoon like appearance. It might have been funny if I wasn't so tired.

Nate has pulled us aside in the kitchen while the others store away our supplies. One look at us told him everything he needed to know and now he's drawing the story out.

It's mostly Blake that does the talking, aided by Burns who fills in some of the gaps. I'm watching Finn. At the moment the boy is perched on one of the tables while Sophie is trying to smooth out his hair. She is happy to not be the youngest anymore.

Finn undergoes it patiently, too impressed by the change in scenery to protest. He is still so young and he has already witnessed things no child should ever see. How long before the innocence is gone from his face?

"Emma?"

I look up when Nate's hand falls on my shoulder. His smile is filled with sympathy. Blake and Burns are both watching me concerned. "Sorry," I say, "did you say something?"

"Just making sure you are alright. Sounds like you've been going through a rough couple of days with that Seeker and those Healers."

The wedding rings Blake saved for me feel heavy around my neck and my tongue feels parched. I don't know why I'm having such hard time with this. "I'll be fine," I mutter.

Nate isn't buying it. "Why don't you and Burns go to your room for a bit? Take some time for yourself." He follows my gaze as it moves to Finn. "We'll take care of the boy and help him settle in. If he needs you, we'll tell him where to find you." He taps my chin. "Maybe take some 'Sleep', yeah? If something comes up that requires your attention, we'll call for you."

I nod at him. Maybe he's right. Maybe I just need some time to myself. I'm safe now.

Nate nudges me towards Burns, who is looking at me with uncertainty. We haven't really talked since the other night. Does he regret it? Are we back to square one now?

I know he's been with other girls, before he met me.

We walk side by side towards our sleeping space, not saying anything. Burns holds open the curtain for me and then follows me inside. We sit there awkwardly.

"So," Burns says, "how are you feeling?" His eyes are on the matrass and he's picking at his shirt.

My own hands are plucking at our blanket. "Tired," I say, "sad. I don't know." It's been an emotional couple of days, that's for sure.

Burns nods and looks away awkwardly. "I could... stay somewhere else."

There it is. The inevitable. Maybe we should have thought things through. We're going to run into each other every day after all.

I bite my lip. "Okay, if that is... what you want." It still hurts to say those words, but I can hardly force him to stay with me.

Burns looks at me apologetic. "I just want to give you some space."

I blink at him. "Space? I don't need space."

"But..." Burns looks surprised, "I thought... you were so quiet..."

I smile at him sheepishly. "I was giving you space. After what happened with Rain and Storm... they're your family after all. And if it hadn't been for me... I made us go there... if we had just gone home..."