Chapter 127 The Polar Opposite

History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives.

-Abba Eban

Burns

We watch as Arashi and Emma hand a filled backpack to Zander, who is waiting outside of the truck. This is a clever way of raiding. Less Souls around to worry about. From the other side, a new tuck arrives. This is also a Food truck, but it parks farther away for the shop than the first one, closer to where we are hiding. Closer to Emma, Arashi and Zander.

I wait nervously for the driver to climb out, afraid that he will spot the others, but I need not worry. They are out of his line of vision and he walks towards the shop without even a glance in our direction.

Once the driver is out of sight, Nate turns to Ellen. "Go get the supplies they gathered so far and tell them to hit this one next." He nods at the newly arrived Food truck.

Ellen nods and scurries over to where Emma, Arashi and Zander are. They've found a hiding spot behind some rocks where I can't see them anymore. Instead I focus on the shop again. Two Souls have just left the store. They're laughing and talking together. Gail and Nate shift nervously next to me and keep glancing in the direction of the others.

I'm tense too. I need to be ready to interfere. When the two climb into their own trucks, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. My eyes move to the others again. They are closer now and Nate is motioning for them to climb the next truck.

The three walk towards the truck, but pause halfway.

I frown. Why would they stop? Is something wrong? I glance at Nate. He seems worried too. Arashi and Zander are in some sort of discussion. It looks like they're arguing, but we can't hear them from where we are siting.

At least they keep their voices down.

Ellen reappears at our side, placing a heavy backpack on the ground. "What's going on?" she asks, looking at the trio by the truck.

"Hell if I know," Nate growls.

"Zander," Gail hisses. She sounds angry. "Don't be a fool."

Zander has split up from the other two and hoists himself onto another truck. 'Medicine' it reads on the side.

"What is he doing?" Gail growls.

"He is your guy," Nate counters.

Gail points at Zander. "I did not tell him to go off on his own. Who says your guy didn't tell him to climb that truck?"

Nate throws up his hands. "There's a reason I asked Arashi to come on this raid. He keeps a clear head. He knows not to split up."

"Uhm guys..." Ellen says urgently.

Gail and Nate stop their argument and follow Ellen's pointed finger.

Another Soul has left the shop and walks towards his truck. The truck Zander is on.

Nate is already on his feet and at the truck before I can blink. The Soul hasn't seen him yet, but he will in a few seconds. I hurry after Nate. I have to protect him, protect all of them.

"Hi there," the Soul calls, "admiring my truck?"

I turn to the Soul and step in between him and Nate. "Sorry," I say, "we didn't mean any harm. We were just curious."

"That's alright," the Soul says. He tilts his head. "How did you get here if you don't mind me asking. I saw all the other truck drivers inside. You didn't come by foot, did you? The next town is miles away."