Chapter 75 The Leader of the Pack

The universe wants to be noticed

-John Greene

Nate

"What do you mean, you know?" Blake narrows his eyes at me.

I sit down on a table and look at him calmly. "What I said. I know."

He looks at me in disbelieve and confusion and I sigh. "I saw the girl's scar, back in that cave. I knew she was human." I smirk. "She threatened me."

A faint smile passes Blake's face. "Yeah, that sounds like her."

"It was obvious that the loved her. I thought at first that it wasn't him. You know. I thought it was that guy that used to live in that body. I've seen it happen. Those creatures, staying with the same partner they had as a human. But not Burns. He had fallen for her hard. On his own." I shake my head amused. "An alien and a human." I look at Blake again. "And she was with him out of her own free will. So I got curious. I never had the chance to have a conversation with one of those creatures before. I asked questions. Heh. I knew then that he was different."

"And you just believed him?"

"It made sense, why they were in the desert together, why she was so hell bend on protecting him."

"The others need to know," Blake says, "We can't keep this from them."

I nod. "I know." But we'll have to be careful about it. It's going to cause chaos. I watch Blake thoughtfully for a  while. "Burns is a good guy," I say.

Bake raised his eyebrows. "I know that."

"That girl likes him."

"Emma can take care of herself just fine," Blake answers. He sticks his hands in his pockets and leans against the wall.

"Just making sure we're on the same page."

Blake rolls his eyes. "We just went to school together. That's it."

"You went to school with Rachel too, but I've never seen you look at her the way you look at Emma."

"Really? We're going to have that conversation?"

"I don't need any more trouble here, Blake," I say calmly. I steady myself on the table. My leg still hurts. Kelsey made a make-shift splint, but it will take a long time to heal. It's too bad Burns didn't carry anything to heal broken bones.

Blake sighs. There won't be any trouble. Not the sort you're talking about."

"You like her."

"I care about her, there's a difference." He looks at me seriously. "She's got that look in her eyes that makes you want to protect her."

I'm not sure what he's talking about. She doesn't look that helpless to me. But I don't comment on it. Emma can handle herself just fine and from what I have seen she can handle Blake as well.

Bake pauses for a moment and sighs. "So, how are you going to break the news to the others?"

"I'll have to think about it. I'll need more time."

Blake nods. "Alright. Just don't wait too long. If they figure it out on their own, they'll take matters in their own hands." He pushes away from the wall. "I'm gonna crash. See you in the morning."

I nod absentmindedly as he walks away. What have I gotten myself into? I knew things would be difficult when I decided to take Burns and Emma to our hide-out. Of course the others would be wary, angry even. They have every right to be.

That's why I didn't say anything.

Of course I knew they would find out the truth. I had just hoped it would take a little longer.

But Blake found out after only one day.

If I had told the truth that first evening when we arrived, they would have killed him. They might have killed Emma too.

Is one day really enough to turn things around? To make them listen?

Somehow I don't think it will be that simple. I have seen enough of mankind to know what mass hysteria can do. And one brave girl can only stop an angry mob for so long.

They're not going to believe it. And making them believe isn't even the hardest part. The hardest part will be to keep them calm long enough to listen.

I sigh.

This is going to need a careful planned approach.

When Burns told me, I was unable to move because of my leg, but I can hardly incapacitate everyone to make them listen.

The first thing I need is to find common ground. There must be something about Burns they can relate too.

I know he likes to explore. He's seen a lot of the universe. Some of the others will at least be interested to hear his stories. He knows a thing or two about mechanics. That should help with Will and Philip, though Will might be a challenge. Of all of us, I think he resents the Souls the most. He lost his fiancée because of them.

I know he's with Kelsey now, but if he had known there was a chance...

We can't just go run around, taking our loved ones back. Disappearances will get noticed. We have enough trouble with Seekers as it is and there's too many of them to fight.

Besides, it's not just this group to think about. There's three other groups in hiding beside us.

We protect each other.

I run a hand across my face. I'm tired. These past few days have taken a toll. I need peace to return to this place before things get out of hand. I push away from the table ad carefully make my way down the hall. There's a few people I need to see. Logan, because he's steady. Philip, he is reasonable. And Kelsey, because she always tries to find the good in people.

But I need to talk to someone else first.

I kneel down next to her. She's already fast asleep and I feel guilty for waking her. I gently shake her. "Sophie, honey, wake up. There's something you need to know."