Chapter 90 The Searchparty

I don't care if we're rich.
I just want you to come home.
You'll try, won't you?
Really, really try?

-The Hunger Games

Rain

We sit around the kitchen table. Ocean and Core, Scales, Patt, Storm and me. All around I see grim faces.

I should have known. I should have trusted my intuition when Sky didn't call.

A map of the region is spread out between us and Patt and Storm are studying it intensely.

"The last disappearance was two days ago in Vegas," Patt says, "before that two Healers from Phoenix, a young woman from Tucson, a young man from Los Angeles, a girl from San Francisco. A Seeker went missing too a few weeks back and a couple of months ago, a young woman vanished. And it's happened before."

Patt looks at us, a concerned expression. "The disappearances have increased in the past few weeks. We suspect there are rebel humans behind it, but we haven't been able to find them. A month ago, Seekers saw a few near Toledo. They caught one, but he killed himself before he could be taken for Interrogation. The other two got away."

"Toledo?" Ocean gasps. Her face goes pale. "Sky and Burns went to Toledo."

"Yes," Patt nods, "but they didn't disappear there. I had some of my fellow Seekers ask around. They followed the most likely route from Toledo to Vegas. They passed Denver at least. Some youngsters remember talking to them."

"We will find them, honey," Core presses Ocean's hand, "you shouldn't worry too much. Stress isn't good in your condition."

"Core is right," Storm says, "and as far as these disappearances go, Sky and Burns travel together. They should be safe."

I bite my lip. Even I can see the holes in that logic.

I try Sky's cell again, like I have been doing every day for the past few weeks, but it goes straight to voicemail, as it has done every time.

A hand locks over mine. I look up to meet Storm's eyes. He smiles at me sadly. "They'll be home soon, honey. You can speak with Sky in person then." He kisses the top of my head. "Patt, Core and Scales and I will go out again tomorrow. Those youngsters from Denver remembered Burns had plans to visit the Canyon. They're probably camping out there."

Scales grins at me. "He's right, you know. Burns went to Yellowstone once and I didn't hear from him for a month."

"In any case," Patt says, "we have to go about this with care. We don't want to cause a panic. It might spook the humans if we change our behavior."

I sigh. I know it's for the best, but I wish we could do more. Storm had wanted to hand out flyers with pictures of Sky and Burns, but Patt advised against it. The sightings of humans can't get out. He wasn't even supposed to tell us. It's something the Seekers deal with on their own. But since Sky is Patt's friend, he didn't want to keep it from us.

Patt looks around the table. "I'll go with Scales to Vegas tomorrow. We'll ask in hotels and restaurants if they have seen Burns or Sky. Storm and Core will drive around towns near the Canyon and ask there. You girls stay here. Ocean needs rest and Rain can try Sky's friends in Toledo again. Maybe they have heard something by now." He looks at me now. "But don't worry them too much."

I nod.

Patt is right.

We will find them.

---

Just a short one while I work on an update for Unspoken. A new chapter will be out soon, for both Unspoken and Silver Lining.