Chapter 38 The Rainmaker

We are the living links in a life force
that moves and plays around,
and through us,
binding the deepest soils
with the farthest stars 

- Alan Chadwick

Burns

Yellow Leaves and reads the Stars have welcomed us with open arms. They look at Sky like a daughter. They’ve offered us their guestroom since Sky’s apartment is no longer available. They took all Sky’s belongings and stored them in the attic for the time being. We might have to drive back instead of fly.

Toledo has a strange effect on me. This is where Emma grew up. I can’t help but wonder how her life was before we came to this planet.

“We’re here,” Sky pulls me out of my thoughts.
 I look up at the Observatory. This is where Reads the Stars works. Sky told me about the telescope they’re trying to develop. It would be interesting to see if they succeed.
“I cant wait to show you the star tower,” Sky says. She proceeds towards the door, but instead of opening it, she seems hesitant to enter.
“What’s wrong?” I ask.
She bites her lip. “This is… where my host’s father worked. I… haven’t been here in a while. It’s just a little strange.”
“But you’ve been here before, right?”
She nods, but worry mars her face.
I take her hand and notice the slight tremble. I press it softly for reassurance.

Her whole face changes when we step inside and I can feel her body relax. Her hand is still holding mine, but she either doesn’t notice or she doesn’t mind.
I stare at her for a moment. She really is quite pretty.
Her head turns towards me and she catches my stare. A blush spreads across her cheeks.
“This way,” she hurriedly pulls me up the stairs, ducking her face embarrassed.

Before long we arrive in a large room. Several people are studying charts and computer screens. Reads the Stars is one of them. The moment he sees us, he waves us over. “Hello you two. Have you come to visit me?”
“I wanted to show Burns the telescope,” Sky says.
“You picked a good night,” Reads the Stars nods, “it’s very clear outside.” He motions towards a giant telescope in the center of the room. “Go ahead. Have a look.”
Sky nods at me. “You can go first. You haven’t been here before.”

I take a step forward and look through the lens. It’s amazing how many stars I can see up close. It’s so very different than looking at them with bare eyes.
The universe is so incredibly large.
I watch a moment longer before stepping aside for Sky. I smile while watching her. She seems like a different person.
A hand falls on my shoulder and I look up to meet Reads the Stars’ eyes. He motions with his head to follow him and I do so confused.
He leads me a bit aside and smiles at me kindly. “I just wanted to tell you how happy I am that Sky found you,” he says, “she already looks much happier. We were really worried about her at first. We were afraid she’d might have to skip hosts.”
“Why?” I ask concerned.
His next words fill me with dread.
“Her host seemed to be resistant. There were a few incidents. She was really scared. She even went to visit her Healer friend to speak to him about it. But she’s doing much better now.”
For a  moment I can’t think straight. I try to make sense of what he told me. Of course I’ve heard rumors of this kind of thing happening, but never paid it much attention.

But if it’s true…

Then maybe Emma…