Chapter 32 The Pathfinder

“You don’t remember your name?” Chihiro asked.
“No,” Haku answered, “but for some reason I remember yours.”
            - Spirited Away

Sky

It’s been a week and I haven’t made any progress. I don’t have much to go on. Wherever this mysterious guy is from, it’s nowhere near here. I’m beginning to wonder if I shouldn’t just give up.

I ask around in every town, but no  one can point me in the right direction. Here seem to be a lot of ginger haired blue eyed males.
None of them is the one I’m looking for.
He could be anywhere.
I don’t even know where Emma last  saw him. And even if I did, he may not be there now.
I sigh and stare at the menu. I’m starving.
The bar is a small one in a small town, but the smells from the kitchen make my mouth water.
A young boy moves up to my table. “Are you ready to order, Miss?”
I glance at the menu again. “I’ll have the chicken soup please. And some French fries. Or perhaps a burger…”
The boy laughs. “It sounds like you’re hungry.”
I smile. “Yeah. I’ve been driving for a long time. I really need something to eat. I’ve got a long way to go.”
“Where are you going” he asks curiously.
“I’m not really sure,” I sigh, “I’m looking for someone, but I don’t know where to find him.”
“What’s his name?”
“I don’t know that either,” I admit, “I’ve seen his face in my host’s memories and I want to find out who he is.”
The boy leans on the table now and stares at me with interest
An elderly woman walks up to us and places a hand on the boy’s shoulder. “Snowy, we have other guests that would like to order. Why don’t you go see them and let the young lady eat in peace?”
“I’m sorry Gentle Breeze,” Snowy says and stands up.
“He wasn’t bothering me,” I hurry to say, “he just took my order.”
Snowy smiles at me. “Chicken soup and French fries,” he grins.
“That’s right, “I say, “and some water.”
Snowy disappears into the kitchen and Gentle Breeze sits down across from me. “Forgive Snowy. He’s still young and a little curious.”
“It’s alright,” I say.
“You’re not from around here,” Gentle Breeze says.

“No,” I answer, “I was visiting friends near Phoenix. Now I’m looking for someone on my host’s memories, but I don’t know where he is.”
Gentle Breeze smiles at me kindly. “Then I hope you will find him.”

Snowy returns with my food and Gentle Breeze stands up. “Enjoy your meal dear. If you need anything else, just call.”
“I will. Thank you.”
The soup is delicious and I finish the bowl in no time.
The fries taste equally good and I cant help but let out a satisfied groan. I’m suddenly reminded of Sara’s cooking and I feel a sudden longing for the woman I’ve never even met.
That’s one thing I still can’t get used to, missing people I don’t even know. I suppose it’s one of the challenges of being human. I never had this problem when I was a Dragon.
I sigh and mutter to myself. “Come on. One clue. How else am I supposed to find him?”

It’s stupid really. Emma can’t hear me. She’s no longer there. Just her memories.

“Finished already?” Gentle Breeze appears at my table and smiles at me.
“Yes thank you. It was very good.”
“I’m glad to hear that. Can I get you anything else?”
“No thank you. You’re most kind, but I should be on my way.”
“How much road do you have ahead of you?”
“Quite a lot, I think,” I sigh. I don’t really want to think about it.

“Then I’ll give you some sandwiches to take with you,” Gentle Breeze says, “you should take proper care of yourself.”
“Oh that’s very kind of you, but I can’t accept that.”
“Nonsense dear,” Gentle Breeze waves away my protests, “you were so hungry when you came here. Don’t think I haven’t noticed. At least that way you won’t have to worry about your next meal anytime soon.”
That does sound good actually. After all, I don’t really know these roads. Who knows when I’ll find another stop?
“Alright then,” I say.
“I’ll be back in a moment. You just wait here.”
I lean back and stare out of the window. Cars pass by on the highway and I wonder where they’re going. Are they going home? To work?  Or perhaps they are looking for someone too.
“Here you go sweetheart,” Gentle Breeze has returned and places a package of neatly wrapped sandwiches on the table and a bottle of water.
“Thank you so much,” I reply.
“you’re welcome. Drive safely.”
“I will,” I smile.

***

“No, I’m staying here for the night,” I tell Rain. We’ve been talking on the phone for almost an hour now. It’s good to hear her voice again.
“Sky, it’s been over a week. Maybe you should just accept that you can’t find him.”
“I don’t want to give up just yet. A few more days and if I haven’t found anything by then, I promise I will go home.”
Rain sighs and I can hear Storm’s voice in the background, though I can’t make out the words. “Alright. I won’t ask you to give up. I know how important this is to you. I just wish I could help you.”
“I know,” I say as I glance out of the window of the lobby, “just a few more days.”
“Storm says that perhaps you could ask at a Healing Facility. No matter where he is, he must have been there at some point in time.”
“That’s actually a good idea. I can’t believe I haven’t though about it myself.”
I hear her laugh on the other end. “Okay. Where exactly are you now? I can give you the address of the nearest…” Her next words don’t register in my head. I’m distracted by something outside.
“Rain? I’m gonna have to call you back.” I hang up the phone and hurry out the door. I know it’s rude to cut someone off, but I might not have the chance again.
I though I saw him.
Someone that looks like him just exited the bakery across the street. I can just see his head disappear around the corner and I start running. “Hey! Wait up!”
He freezes at the sound of my voice and slowly turns around.
I stop in front of him and support myself on my knees.  I pant and look at him. My face lightens up. “It’s really you,” I beam at him.
He stares at me like a zombie.
My smile widens. “I’m so glad I finally found you. You have no idea how long I’ve been looking. This body had your face in her head, so I had to know who you were. And now I’ve found you. She didn’t seem to know your name, which I found a bit odd, but it didn’t matter because here you are.”
He’s still staring at me and hasn’t said a word yet.
It’s quite a handsome face he has. I blush and suddenly feel embarrassed. I’m rambling. What must he think of me. “I’m so sorry,” I say, “I haven’t even introduced myself. I’m Floats Through The Sky. Sky for short. I was a Dragon. I’m sorry I startled you. I didn’t mean to. I tend to talk a lot when I’m nervous, but I was so excited to have found you. I’m right, am I not? You knew Emma?” 
He seems to snap out of his trance. He blinks and shakes his head as to clear his thoughts. “Burns,” he says and sticks out his hand, “Burns Living Flowers.”
“Fire World?” I laugh, “the name matches your hair.”
A nervous smile twitches at the corner of his mouth. He still has a strange look in his eyes.
“Are you okay?”  I ask concerned.
“Yeah… yes.. I’m fine,” he says , but he’s still staring.
“So, how did you know Emma? Was she friends with your host? Because she thought about you a lot.”
“She... she did?”
I smile. Perhaps Yellow Leaves was right. Perhaps Emma did have a crush on him. I can’t really blame her. “Yeah. So how did they meet?”
Burn sighs and averts his eyes. “In the forest,” he says, “she’d hurt her leg.”
“And your host helped her?” That’s so romantic.
“Something like that,”  he answers. I wonder why there’s a sad tone to his voice.
“So why didn’t she know your name?”
Burns shrugs. “I don’t know. We… They didn’t know each other that well, I guess.”
I nod in understanding. That could explain it.

“Did you move into town?” Burns suddenly asks.
“No,” I tell him, “I’m staying at the hotel..”
“You should stay at my house,” he offers. He still has a haunted look in his eyes.
“Oh, I don’t want to bother you.”

“It’s no problem at all. I have plenty of room. And it would be nice to get to know you. Or do you have other plans? Were you leaving again?”
“No, I haven’t made any plans. “
“That settles it then. Unless you don’t want to stay wit me. You don’t have to.”
“No, I mean yes. I’d like to stay.”
He lets out a sigh and smiles at me. “Good. Let’s pick up your things.” 

---

AN: Sugarcult with Memory to the side ^_^ Enjoy the song