Chapter 36 The Pretender

Silences make the real conversations between friends.
Not the saying,
but the never needing to say is what counts.

-  Margaret Lee Rumbeck

Ocean

Sky seems like a nice person. Someone I can laugh with. Someone that makes you smile. We hit it off right from the start and I’m happy that Burns has found someone to spend this life term with.
Still, something’s not right.
I’ve been watching them throughout the day. Or better said, I’ve been watching Burns. He keeps stealing glances at Sky when he thinks no one sees, but I’ve known him for a while now. I can see he likes Sky, but when he smiles at her, he’s seeing someone else.
Is he still thinking about this Silver Song? If so, then I hope Sky can make him feel better.
He deserves to be happy.

“So this wall in blue?” Burns looks at me, a paint bush in his hands. There’s paint all over his arms and clothes, a result of his paint battle with Core. A streak of brown is smeared across his cheek and I detect some green in his hair.
I bite my lip to keep from laughing.
“What?” he asks incredulously.
“The paint is supposed to go on the wall, Burns,” Sky chimes in. She’s carrying a tray with tea and cookies.
“Most of it made it on the wall,” Core grins and he kisses me. He looks at Sky. “Ah finally,” he says, “time for a break.” He plops down on the couch. “Come sit down. You can tell me more about your friends from Rock World.”
“Of course,” Sky smiles. “Rain lived close to the Crater Ring. She told me that’s where the most meteor showers occurred. It’s where she met Storm. He was playing in one of the Magnet Storms. They’ve been together ever since.” 
“I’m from the Iron Fields,” Core says, “near the Center of the Magnetic Field. It’s on the other side of Rock World, so I don’t think I’ve ever met your friends, but I’d love to get in touch with them. I haven’t met many Rocks before.” 
“I’ll leave you their number,” Sky offers, “I’m sure they’ll be happy to meet you.”

As Sky and Core chatter away about Core’s birth planet, I cast a look at Burns again. He has that sad expression in his eyes that I noticed before. I touch his arm lightly and he turns to me. “Could you help me for a moment in the kitchen?” I ask.
He nods at me. “Of course.” He follows me and I lean against the counter. 
“Sky is nice,” I comment, “I like her.” 
A faint smile tugs at Burns’ lips. “I like her too.” 
“I know,” I nod, “but you seem sad somehow. Are you still thinking about Silver Song?” 
Burns’ eyes sadden again and he sighs. It takes a while before he answers and when he does, there’s a frown on his face. “Do you… do you ever think.. that maybe we were wrong?” 
“Wrong?” I’m confused now, “wrong about what?” 
“Coming here,” he answers, “to this planet.” 
I bite my lip. “What do you mean?”
He sighs again and runs a hand through his hair. “I’m not sure. It’s just… this planet is very different from the others we’ve assimilated.” 
“Every planet is different, Burns,” I answer, “and we knew it was going to be hard before coming here. Humans are very complicated after all.” I don’t know where this is coming from. He’s never said anything like this before. “Burns.” I say, “we’ve always researched a planet before deciding to take over. And Earth was in desperate need of saving. There’s peace now and no more crime. It’s become so much better. I thought you loved Earth.” 
“I do,” he whispers, “I really want to stay here.” 
“Then what’s the problem?”
“I don’t know,” he says. He smiles at me. “Forget what I said, okay?  Let’s go back to Core and Sky before they eat all the cookies.” 
“They wouldn’t do that,” I say confused, “that would leave none for us.” 
He smiles again, and again his smile is sad. “It was just a joke Ocean.” 
I smile uncertain and follow him back to the living room.

“Ah, there you two are,” Core smiles, “we were about to send in a search party.”
Sky smiles when Burns sits down next to her, but he seems completely oblivious. “The house is coming together nicely,” Burns says, “if we keep this up, we’ll have it finished in no time.”
“Perhaps you should stay over then,” Core says, “there’s a guest room and we can get to know Sky better.”
“Yes Burns, stay!” I press.
Burns looks at Sky questioningly. “What do you think?”
She smiles at him and then at us. “I’d love to.”
“That’s settled then,” Core says, “and we’ll go out to dinner tonight to celebrate.”
“You just want to go to that Italian restaurant down the street,” I tease.
He smiles innocently and I laugh. I see Sky watching the two of us with interest. There’s a sad smile on her face and she glances at Burns.
He catches her in the act and his eyes light up for a second. His earlier sorrow seems to have vanished. It makes me happy and I sigh in relief. There might be a chance for them yet.
Sky will be good for him. Maybe if they stay with us for a while, they’ll grow closer and he’ll forget about Silver Song.

A/N Yes, I know it's short, but I wanted some input from Ocean :) She's been Burns' best friend since the Mist Planet. 
Until next time :)