Chapter 95 The Domesticated

Millions and millions of years would still not give me half enough time
to describe that tiny instant of all eternity
when you put your arms around me
and I put my arms around you.

-Jacques Prevert

Burns

It's strange to go asleep with Emma not here. It's even stranger how restless it makes me.

Is she okay?

Does Arashi take good care of her?

Has she spoken with Rain and the others yet?

Did they believe her?

I sigh and sit up on my bed. I reach for the prism that adorns one of the shelves and run my fingers over it. A smile finds its way to my face. It always makes me think of her.

I turn the prism around in my hands and watch the colors spread out across the wall opposite me. "Emma," I whisper, "come back safely."

The others have already gone to sleep. They're used to their comrades being on the road I guess.

I lie down and turn on my side, clasping my hand tightly around the prism.

My thoughts wander. I miss my friends, I don't feel guilty admitting that. I wonder what they are doing now. Have Ocean and Core finished renovating their home? Is Scales still together with his partner?

I'm also thinking of Rain and Storm, who I have yet to meet.

Why can't things be simple? Why can't we just learn to co-exist?

With that question in my mind, I finally fall asleep.

***

I dream.

In my dream I'm back on the Mist planet, plowing through the icy snow. There's no one else out on the plane and when I call, no one answers.

The next city is still miles away and soon the time of the Claw Bears will arrive. It's dangerous to be out when they wake up. It is their hunting hour.

I know I should have taken a friend with me. Perhaps Claw Spotter. She always seems to know when a Claw Beast is near, a very useful skill since they are so hard to locate. They might be big creatures, but they blend into the landscape perfectly.

I pick up my pace. I have found so many ice stones today. It would be a shame to lose them if I have to flee.

With determined steps, I continue my journey, but before long I see a patch of snow move to my right.

My breath hitches and instinct kicks in. I break out in a run, which of course is the exact wrong thing to do.

Behind me, the Claw beast breaks free from its snowy hiding place and goes in pursuit of me. One swipe of its leg slams me towards the ground. My ice stones are scattered across the field and I howl in pain.

I know this is the end for me.

The large beast towers over me and I brace myself for the final strike.

Just before it comes, I catch sight of something over the creature's shoulder. A display of colors, painted across the sky. A rainbow of light. Blues and greens and yellows and reds.

Only, that can't be right. There is no red on the Mist Planet.

I blink, but the image does not change. The rainbow is still here, granting me peace before the end I know is coming.

I close my eyes as the paw of the Claw Beast nears my face.

The impact is not hard and painful as I expected. Instead it's soft and gentle. And the Beast whispers my name.

"Burns."

My brain fights confusion. Burns? That's not my name. I am Blue Ice Finder. There is nothing on this planet that can burn.

"Burns."

There it is again, this time followed by a soft pressure against my lips.

I smile. Such a nice feeling.

"Wake up."

I open my eyes and drowsily smile at the Claw Beast. Except... there isn't one....

I shake my head to get rid of the fog and struggle to sit up. The prism rolls off my chest and drops to the ground.

I rub my eyes and look at Emma.

"You were having a nightmare," she says softly.

I rub my eyes again. "You're back," I say confused, "I thought you wouldn't be back until morning."

She smiles. "It is morning. We came back an hour ago."

Her words shake the last bit of sleep from my mind. "How did it go?" I ask. I study her face. There's something sad in her eyes. "What's wrong?" I ask, "did you speak to Rain?"

"Yeah," she says, "I did. The others were there too."

"Others?"

"Your friends," Emma answers, "Ocean, Core, Scales and Patt too." She bites her lip. "She's pregnant."

"Who? Rain?" I blink.

"Ocean," she says. Her lip trembles. "She's going to give it up for Insertion. Rain and Storm are helping her to find a suitable Soul."

Ocean is pregnant? They've always wanted a family. I'm happy for them. "What's the matter?" I ask when I see Emma's downcast expression.

"She's going to give it up for Insertion," Emma repeats.

I give her a sympathizing smile and caress her cheek. "Come," I tell her and I lock my arms around her. "I'm sorry," I say softly. She leans against me and sighs.

"It's not your fault," she says, "I know she thinks she's doing the right thing, giving another Soul the opportunity to experience life on Earth. It's just... hard for me to accept."

"I know," I say.

She sighs. "It's never going to work, Burns. They'll expect us to visit once the baby is born. And afterwards, what happens when we never come over? If all they receive is calls every now and then?" She leans her head on my shoulder and looks up at me. "What are we going to do?"

"I don't know," I answer her honestly, "but I do know we are in this together. No matter what happens."

"I told them we were going to visit the Great Barrier Reef," Emma mutters, "they kept asking where we were and when we were going to visit. I panicked. So I said we were going on a trip far away."

"It's alright," I assure her.

"But you'll never get to see them again," Emma points out.

I don't tell her I already knew that. I have known from the moment we left Vegas and drove into the desert. And it's difficult, because they are my closest friends and I miss them. But...
I brush Emma's hair aside and kiss her temple. "As long as I have you," I say, "nothing else matters."