Chapter 79 The Guardian

Since we humans have the better brain,
isn't it our responsibility to protect our fellow creatures from,
oddly enough,
ourselves?

-Joy Adamson

Blake

I settle against the wall and wrap the blanket I retrieved around my shoulders. It's going to be a long night.

I have to admit, I didn't expect Will to do something so drastic. Of course I knew it wasn't going to be all rainbows and ponies either, but still... if things get out of hand...

I sigh.

I really hope they don't come back. I don't want to have to follow through on my earlier threat. They are my friends after all. Sort of.

I look up when the curtain shifts and Emma sits down next to me. "Shouldn't you be sleeping?" I ask.

She doesn't look up when she answers. "I can't sleep here. The air is suffocating. I feel claustrophobic."

"You get used to it," I say mater of fact.

"Maybe," she mutters. She wraps her arms around her knees. "Why are you doing this Blake?"

"Just looking out for you," I say.

"But why?" she insists.

I sigh. "You're not going to make this easy, are you? I care about you. But no matter what I tell you, you're going to take it the wrong way. So just leave it."

She bites her lip and I notice goose bumps on her arm.

"C'me here," I mutter and unwrap the blanket to cover her up as well.

"Blake," she protests weakly.

"Don't be childish, Emma," I say and I wrap the other end of the blanket around her so it covers both of us. I pull her closer and keep one arm around her.

"Don't make things more complicated," she says softly.

"Me?" I question, "you're the one that always overcomplicates things. Just accept some help for a change, will you?"

"Alright," she growls annoyed, but she relaxes against me, "thank you," she mutters.

"You're welcome," I say softly.

We sit like that for a while and I wonder why it could never be like this before. So I ask her.

She sighs. "Because...," she hesitates. Immediately I can tell she's pulling away again. Whatever it is, she's reluctant to share it.

"Because?" I press.

"Because you make me nervous," she mutters.

I can't help but smirk. "You had a crush on me, squirky?"

She narrows her eyes at me. "This is exactly why! You can never be serious!" She struggles out of my grip, but I stop her. "Hey, alright. Okay. I'm sorry. You need to learn not to take things so personal."

She grits her teeth and looks away.

"Don't be angry," I say quietly and I rub her arm, "I was just teasing you."

Her expression relaxes and she sighs.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask in a serious manner.

She looks at me questioningly.

"What was it like? To have one of those creatures in your head? I mean..."

Emma stiffens and she bites her lip. "It was... frustrating," she says, "I wasn't in control over my own body and I had no way of letting Burns know I was still there. I tried to make her look for him, you see. Even if I didn't know he would help me. I didn't even know if he would care. I was only human after all." She sighs again. "The funny ting is, I didn't hate her. She was such a gentle creature and so afraid of me. I just didn't want her in control of my body." She looks at me. "I got to know some other Souls too. Friends of Sky's. Friends of Burns'. And a handful of others along the way." She looks at me. "They were all nice. Except for that Seeker of course. I just can't... hate them. They're so... innocent."

I frown as I think on her words. "It's hard to imagine," I tell her, "I know they're all peace loving creatures. How did they manage to overthrow an entire planet?"

"Slowly," Emma answers, "and unobtrusive. By the time we noticed it was already too late." She looks down and lowers her voice. "It wasn't easy for him, you know, to betray her to bring me back. It goes against his entire nature. I don't know if I can ask him to ever do that again. For anyone."

I nod thoughtfully, but I doubt the others will feel that way.

There's shuffling down the tunnel and I spring to attention. Would they really try something again?

Rachel flinches at the sight of the gun and I lower the weapon. "What do you want?"

Her eyes move towards Emma who is still wrapped in one blanket with me. "I thought you might like some company."

Emma crawls out of the blanket. "I'm gonna check on Burns."

"You don't need to leave," I say.

"Good night, Blake," she replies, "Rachel."

I wait until she has entered her room and turn to Rachel. "Was that really necessary?"

"I didn't force her to leave, Blake," she answers calmly. She sits down across from me and glances at the curtain. "Is it true? Will and Arashi really attacked him?"

I nod.

"They're talking about it now," Rachel says, "they want to bring one of those Souls back on their next raid."

"I know," I say.

"Do you think it will work?"

"I don't know," I mutter. I look at her. "Do you think you can try to get along with Emma a bit better?"

She sighs. "Fine. I'll be nice. Alright?"

I smile amused. "You have to really mean it, Rachel."

"Don't push it Blake."

"I just think you would like her. That's all. Why did you hate her so much anyway?"

Rachel sighs. "I never said I did." She bites her lip. "Cynthia was the one that didn't like her. I just followed her so she wouldn't turn on me."

Just as I thought. "So why not become friends then?" I say. We all have to live here together. We don't need any conflict.

"I suppose you're right," she admits.

"Burns isn't so bad either," I continue.

She narrows her eyes at me. "I don't think so."

"Just get to know him. They can't be all bad. He offered to help us."

She glances at the curtain again, an uncomfortable look in her eyes. And the she looks back at me. She takes a deep breath. "I'll try."